RG570EX cosmetic upgrade? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

RG570EX cosmetic upgrade?

My RG570EX Cyber Pink (more a light grey - I think the pink referred to the inlays?) from 2000 is one of my work horse guitars and has been truly great (4 pics here):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/609961.../in/datetaken/

It has already been upgraded with a Sustainer and an Evo Bridge pickup but these days I think it looks a little plain compared to my Jem, Universe and Euphorias so was considering some kind of tasteful visual update...

Obviously a monkey grip and lions claw route Jem conversion aren't really economical and a tree of life inlay would mean a new neck, this one is actually quite nice to play anyway with the edge binding.

This all makes me think maybe a pick guard would be the best option but the common black, white, pearl and mirror options I'm not really sure they would suit - apart from black but that would kind of keep the flat look.

It does seem like there was also a RG550EX in this finish but it isn't clear what colour the pick guard was on that - similar to the inlays maybe? It looks kind of brown on the few pictures I've seen...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 09:01 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: RG570EX cosmetic upgrade?

Wow. That really is a cool 570. I don't think I've ever seen that color before and, being a 2000, predates all the ghost sharkies I've seen too. VERY COOL!

I think if the guitar were mine I'd want to do something non-invasive with the cosmetics. I'd probably do something along the lines of a vinyl graphic wrap. You can have any design you can imagine, have it made at any local automotive graphics shop, and lay it on. Vinyls are completely removeable. You can always go back to stock or change the look if you feel like it in the future.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks - yeah one of my concerns with adding a pick guard are the irreversible screw holes if I don't like it, I'd thought about using double sided tape to test the look first, but vinyl is a cool idea. I could perhaps get a pick guard shape cut in that.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattww View Post
Thanks - yeah one of my concerns with adding a pick guard are the irreversible screw holes if I don't like it, I'd thought about using double sided tape to test the look first, but vinyl is a cool idea. I could perhaps get a pick guard shape cut in that.
Absolutely, the sky's the limit when it comes to vinyl.

Here in the states a full wrap is pretty cheap (around $30). If the same is true there, you can get several different looks to play with before deciding on one.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 12:41 PM

Different colored pickup rings, knobs, and/or bobbin toppers can add a new look
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

With the cyber pink guitārs, there's very little to alter the overall look without looking half-hearted, if you're not looking to spend series cash. A hardware swap for gold or black might work? A refinish would expensive and get rid of what is actually a pretty cool colour... Maybe save up and invest in an old RG550 or 570 from the 'bay in a cool colour and go from there?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by madasahatter View Post
Different colored pickup rings, knobs, and/or bobbin toppers can add a new look
The pickup rings are now black plastic ones as the Luthier who did the sustainer install for me didn't want to drill holes in the original grey metal ones (because you effectively have two single coil sized pickups now and the surrounds are pre-drilled for a humbucker).

I kept the black surrounds on as they matched the black of the knobs that came with the sustainer kit and match the OEM truss rod cover.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 10:09 AM

Who did your sustainer install? It looks kinda familiar... http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/su...wo-134928.html

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Who did your sustainer install? It looks kinda familiar...
It was a guy near Northampton (UK) called Paul/arrowhead guitars - it was a bit of distance away from me but at the time (2006) no-one much was doing them. I just gave him what pics I could find of Flo etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode