RG7420 problem - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
M.V

Reviews: 5
RG7420 problem

Hi there!
a month ago i bought a used RG7420, the condition seemed perfect although the guitar is 16 years old. I assume frets are new since they show very little sign of usage. Now i've been dealing with the guitar for 2 weeks or so, i shimmed the neck with 2mm of thick paper (through all 4 screws) beecause the actions was 3mm high even with the bridge at it's lowest. I changed the pickups to blackouts, oiled the neck and everything, so the guitar would have optimal playability. But a problem occured - there is a very annoying fret buzz at the highest frets (15-). The frets seem level with each other, and the 24th fret of the 1st string suffers a terrible sustain loss, which is very weird for the last fret. The action (24th fret of 1st string) is a bit less than 2mm, which i think is high enough, and the fret buzz does not disappear even with action of 3mm. But the problem is really persistant just with the higher frets of the higher strings. The truss rod cannot be adjusted (it's stiff and i do not wanna crack it). What would be the next logical step in order to get rid of the fret buzz? I won't higher the action because even very high action causes fret buzz and i do not expect to have a 3mm action on an Ibby. Maybe it was because I shimmed my neck with 2mm equally on the whole neck pocket, and thus lifting the neck. Was that wrong? Any suggestions?

Last edited by M.V; 09-04-2016 at 04:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 06:11 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: RG7420 problem

You should address the truss rod and get it adjustable cause that will be needed eventually (if not now).

is the relief OK (i.e. just enough relief holding the string at fret 1 & 24)? you can't set action without relief set up.

You shouldn't have to shim the whole neck just the body or headstock to adjust the angle to get the bridge where you want it.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
M.V

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
You should address the truss rod and get it adjustable cause that will be needed eventually (if not now).

is the relief OK (i.e. just enough relief holding the string at fret 1 & 24)? you can't set action without relief set up.

You shouldn't have to shim the whole neck just the body or headstock to adjust the angle to get the bridge where you want it.
How do i treat truss rod? what is the first step?
The relief is okay, the neck is very straight with a little relief (a 0.009 string can slide between the 9th fret and the lowest string but not more than that).

Why can't i shim the whole neck? I mean, what's the problem with that? I rather shimmed the whole neck because i've heard that neck can curve if only shimmed partially. Would partial shimming maybe solve my problem?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 07:17 AM

When you shim all pocket, you just raise neck by thickness of shim.
If you use partial shim, usually under last frets of neck, you change angle of neck body which can sort out some problems,
if it does not work for you, than maybe you need frets levelling.

If there is bigger problem on part of fingerboard that sits in neck pocket, last few frets can be levelled in way that next fret is slightly lower then previous.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
M.V

Quote:
Originally Posted by peromucho7 View Post
When you shim all pocket, you just raise neck by thickness of shim.
If you use partial shim, usually under last frets of neck, you change angle of neck body which can sort out some problems,
Thank you very much for your reply. I understand both are ways reduce the action, right?. What are the advantages and disadvantages of either?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 10:21 AM

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
M.V

Thank you!
I have read that article.
I still do not understand what is the benefit of changing angle versus just lifting the entire neck.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 10:41 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

as explained above you shim either the headstock or body side of the pocket to increase/decrease the angle thus allowing action (and tremolo height) to be set as desired. You don't typically just shim the entire pocket as the body neck cutout should be correct from the factory in terms of pocket depth. There is no typical reason for of a full-pocket shim unless the body is cut wrong or a replacement neck installed with a different depth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.V View Post
and the 24th fret of the 1st string suffers a terrible sustain loss, which is very weird for the last fret.
Typically this is from the pickup being too high (too close to the strings) but can be from a loose fret also or loose bridge/saddle (less likely for a double-locker).

Quote:
there is a very annoying fret buzz at the highest frets (15-). The frets seem level with each other,
Quote:
The action (24th fret of 1st string) is a bit less than 2mm, which i think is high enough, and the fret buzz does not disappear even with action of 3mm. But the problem is really persistant just with the higher frets of the higher strings.
If you set it high you should be able to pick out the high frets (causing the buzzing) as some frets should ring clear no?

As pero said you probably need to level the upper fretboard which is not really effected by the relief (if not level all the frets). Even without a straight edge use a credit card edge to identify high frets (span 3 frets and it shouldn't rock if it does the center fret is high, or have huge gaps)... glen

Tags
fret buzz , rg7420 , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode