RG770dx - Edge Trouble - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

RG770dx - Edge Trouble

Hey guys,

I'm brand new to your site, and I've done the best that I could using the search tool to find the answer to me troubles, before deciding to post the issue I've been having. You've put together quite the killer batch of info on these forums, and I look forward to reading more in the near future.

The issue that I'm having is with my RG770dx Prestige Tremolo.

I've had a few buddies look at it, and a guitar tech have a look at it, and they seem baffled. It falls out of tune worse than any other tremolo we've seen. After making a few adjustments, we've manage to stop strings from - one-at-a-time going out of tune. Now they're going flat together and going sharp together. If I pull back, then I have to dive a bit to compensate to get it to come back in tune, and then need to pray that one string isn't worse off then the others.

I've stretched the strings for 2 weeks +, with plenty of use. I'd even sat in front of a movie and just tugged on them and stretched them every which proper way I've used with other systems.

From what I gather, this is an original edge tremolo. Given how far things have come along through minor adjustments attempted, it feels there may be more that can be adjusted to fix the issue. I read the chapstick trick and am looking to give it a go, but is there anything mechanical that should be adjusted I guess would be what I'd like to know about.

An alternative I've been looking into as well would be dropping an OFR into her. Any unforseen trouble with doing so, would be neat to get a heads up on.

Anyway, thank you all a whole hell of a lot, and thanks too for any leniency with the newbie post. Links to other threads where I can find potential solutions are mega appreciated too.

Regards,

Deth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 04:53 AM

Re: RG770dx - Edge Trouble

first of all, read through this as well as the rest of the tech section:

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setu..._stability.htm
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 08:32 AM

Reviews: 34

As far as the tuning, someone better qualified is bound to pipe in.

Dropping in an OFR should work OK. But you need to check the post spacings and where the zero point is in terms of the scale length, but looking at a Schaller FR 2 and an edge I have here it seems ok. If you have an OFR already, just give it a go.

I would suggest that you change the bridge posts with the trems though.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 09:00 AM

i tried posting 2 responses to this thread already but they didn't show up...third time lucky.

read through this:

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setu..._stability.htm

i wouldn't suggest changing for an OFR just yet. there is definitely a problem somwhere in your guitar that can be fixed. edge's are one of the best trems ever made.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Its just a really difficult situation. I thank you guys for the links. I'm going to read through everything I can find here with what spare time I have.

I've just gotten the guitar back from Steve's Music (montreal), and their technician had a look at it. They told me I was SOL. I bought it on the 23rd of November. They want 2 months rent on it ($200), and they'll exchange it for another guitar. I've never felt my nuts so stepped on by a place, and they've been hugely reputable over the years or decades.

The manager is going to be in on Thursday, and they want me to bring it back then to make a decision. I tried it after I got it back from the tech, and no improvements whatsoever. Wherever you pull back to, its almost exactly where it seems to stay. You have to manually bring it back down.

I can only hope that I'm able to exhaust all possible solutions before then. I continuously appreciate you guys taking the time to help give me opinions, info, and ideas regarding the predicament.

Cheers.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 08:55 PM

is the side of the trem or the springs catching on the pickguard or on a piece of wood in the back?

Tags
edge trouble , rg770dx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode