RG770DX Reissue string tension too high - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

RG770DX Reissue string tension too high

Hey folks. I recently got an RG770 reissue in blue second hand. It's set up with 9's, 3 springs parallel in the back, correct bridge angle, tuned to standard, action at around 1.5mm on the treble and a hair higher on the bass at the 24th fret, .3mm relief measured between the 1st and 24th. Everything is dialed in as it should...however...there is a nasty buzzing on the Eb note, 1st fret, 4th string and no matter what I do the string tension feels just so damn stiff. Like much stiffer than it should feel, including bending and vibrato which feels like a chore on it and it definitely well shouldn't. Now I have tried different setups over time, letting the guitar adjust before retweaking. I've even tried the factory specs and the buzz on that one note subsides a little but it's not gone and the strings still feel incredibly tight. I've tried the springs in arrow formation, tilting the bridge a smidge forward, everything but still the same result. The only thing that has been able to relieve the buzz and some of the tension is to put a RIDICULOUS amount of relief in the neck and lower the action to about 1mm or better to make up for the annoying amount of bow but I can't stress how much I hate that setup style and honestly it doesn't take away enough tension to even be worth it. I have tried everything but burning it but there is no conceivable reason why this guitar will not just play like a guitar and not like a piece of elaborately designed exercise equipment. I might try burning it to see if that works. There's a supposedly good place for repairs that's licensed by Ibanez in Manchester NH called The Music Techs so I might take it there but if it comes back the same then I don't know. Oh, btw it had 2 nut shims when I got it and I also tried one or both or no nut shims at all and still nothing. It just buzzed and felt stiff with higher or lower action. I also tried swapping springs with older springs. At a serious loss. It looks beautiful tho lol. I love the 5 piece wizard profile neck and original Edge. Anyways thanks for any input. Hey, Rich from Ibanezrules doesn't do tech work sent in does he lmao..I wish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

Re: RG770DX Reissue string tension too high

Jk on the burning, just frustrated haha
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 05:13 AM

Have you thought of adjusting the spring tension with a screwdriver?
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 07:39 AM

String tension should be an almost constant factor, as in the tension required to keep the strings in tune is constant given a specific tuning. The scale length between the nut and the bridge determine the force required.

Adjusting the tremolo strings will either lift or lower the bridge up or down a bit, which determines how high the strings are above the fretboard and how much force you need to use to push them on the fretboard (the action). High action will reduce fret buzz, which is what you want, but increases force required to push the strings down. Given that you basically tried every action setup already I have two other questions?

I assume you tried a different set of strings already as well? There might be just a dud string (even better might be to change string brands once to test). Also maybe as a test, take (a) string(s) with a lower thickness, which will dramatically reduce the tension 9's instead of 10's.

However, another much more important question is : is the buzz is only occurring at this particular point? If so I wonder if the frets, Eb has a small dent (wear at this point) or E is a bit lifted / higher (has an imperfection) at this point? Then this will cause the buzz an then some more serious repair (fret levelling) is required.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jouke74 View Post
String tension should be an almost constant factor, as in the tension required to keep the strings in tune is constant given a specific tuning. The scale length between the nut and the bridge determine the force required.
Wow! Stephen Hawking does play guitar.
Makes no sense.

Quote:
Adjusting the tremolo strings will either lift or lower the bridge up or down a bit, which determines how high the strings are above the fretboard and how much force you need to use to push them on the fretboard (the action). High action will reduce fret buzz, which is what you want, but increases force required to push the strings down.
Adjusting the springs does NOT change bridge height. It changes the angle of the saddles in relation to the body. I suppose you could say that it raises the STRING height, but not the bridge height.

Quote:
I assume you tried a different set of strings already as well? There might be just a dud string (even better might be to change string brands once to test). Also maybe as a test, take (a) string(s) with a lower thickness, which will dramatically reduce the tension 9's instead of 10's.
I agree that different string brands make a difference in playability. 10's are going to be harder to bend than 9's which are harder to bend than 8's, etc.

Quote:
However, another much more important question is : is the buzz is only occurring at this particular point? If so I wonder if the frets, Eb has a small dent (wear at this point) or E is a bit lifted / higher (has an imperfection) at this point? Then this will cause the buzz an then some more serious repair (fret levelling) is required.
I doubt a complete fret level is needed. My guess is a high fret that can be easily taken care of without getting into a shload of un-needed repairs.

I had a guitar that did this to me. After a week of funking with it, I swapped out the trem springs with some really old ones I had laying around. Turns out that not all trem springs have the same tension. Once I found a set that worked, it cured my bending problem. Here's a test you can do to see if you have tight springs.

1. Set your guitar up with your favorite strings tuned to your favorite tuning.
2. Get your neck relief, trem angle & action set to your liking.
3. Get everything worked in by playing the shyte out of it for about 2 hours.
Now for the test....the first 3 steps were for fun...
4. Hit the open G string and flick the trem bar backwards and listen to the warble.
Short/No warble = tight springs
Long warble = loose springs

I buy used trem springs as much as I can. Have about a dozen of them at any given time.

Tags
rg770 , rg770dx reissue , string tension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode