RGT320 Fret buzz Issues - please help - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Angry RGT320 Fret buzz Issues - please help

Hi guys,

Need a bit of help/advice pertaining to an Ibanez Prestige RGT320 I recently purchased. I'm getting fret buzz on the lower strings (D,A,E) between the 3rd and 6th frets as well as 12th all the way up to the 24th.

Initially I took the guitar to my usual tech for a set up and he returned it back to me advising I'm gonna need to have the frets dressed. Being rather disappointed and for that matter despondent about my purchase I had a go at it myself and although achieving a pretty rad action, straight neck etc, I experienced the same problems. Next I took it to another technician without mentioning any issues and asked him to set it up according to my specs. A couple of days went by before he let me know he was also experiencing some issues with fret buzz from the 12th to the 24th on the lower strings.

I collected the guitar and took it straight back to the store I had purchased it from which in turn sent it back to the agents. After 2 weeks of battling to get any answers from my supplier I decided to contact the agents directly and query what was going on that side with my guitar. First they let me know that the guitar needed a re-fret. I contacted my supplier and queried this, before I knew it they came back to me and said it was a misunderstanding and the guitar merely needed a fret dressing and a good setup.

Being at the top end of the RG series and having paid a fair amount for this baby I said I'd strongly prefer if we could replace this guitar as it's brand new and one would expect a bit more. They let me know there's no stock of these in south africa and to say the least weren't very accommodating, didn't return my calls or reply on any of my emails.

Another week went by of not hearing a word and I started calling around yet again. After much despair I gave them go-ahead to dress the frets and sort the neck out and they advised that if I wasn't satisfied we could look at placing an order to replace the guitar - The guitar is scheduled to arrive next week, in my personal opinion it would probably be best to insist on replacing it?

Please could you guys give me some comments and suggestions as to what's the best plan of action here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 01:02 AM

Re: RGT320 Fret buzz Issues - please help

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/action.htm

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/truss.htm

aim to get about 0.3-0.4 mm of neck relief and 1.8mm action at 24th fret on high e and 2.0mm of action on low e at 24th fret. if your problem still exists, maybe the frets need a dress.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 03:04 AM

I would be demanding a new guitar. When it arrived I would thoroughly examine every detail and if it didn't pass your standards I would demand a refund. Ya,I'd be a hard A$$
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 12:27 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlight View Post
Ya,I'd be a hard A$$
If you're paying for a prestige you are supposedly getting the best Ibanez has to offer. Ibanez is probably most famous for the quality of their necks, so they should at least try to maintain their reputation. This is reason enough to be a dick.

Though, honestly, if you're getting the frets redressed anyways, unless they do a bad job of it, there really isn't any issue here.

Tags
fret buzz , service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode