Rich should come up with setup lessons online - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By jono

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-30-2021, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Rich should come up with setup lessons online

A lot of people on youtube make videos on how to set up a guitar for free, how difficult would it be to record setup lessons, or how to set up the most popular edge bridge

and sell these "How to" online. He has already revealed his "secrets" on his webpage, but it can be confusing especially for beginners to these systems.

wouldn't be too hard to setup a recorder and explain the process, sell the videos, many would buy them.

I suppose not everyone wants to appear on camera or has the patience to do this.

Not everyone can learn how to do something by just reading some written instructions. These systems are complicated and these can be proven by how many guitar techs have a hard time getting a good setup on these Ibanez Prestiges and Jems. If these guys can't get it right, how could a noob? Rich criticizes them, but they don't have experience with Ibanez bridges or work for Ibanez to know all these things as he does.

Why does Ibanez make these bridges more complicated than they should be? Why make an angled baseplate in relation to the knife edge. Most Floyd Rose are not like this. Most guitar techs unless they are into the world of Ibanez and each one of their bridges, would never know this and just set the bridge angle based on the baseplate rather than the knife edges.

These Floyds are already complicated as they are, why Ibanez has to make a confusing bridge like Edge. No wonder the majority can't set them up correctly is not their fault. They're just going by the norm. This bridge is not the norm.

This doesn't make the guitar tech an idiot, he is just not familiar with this bridge, is an anomaly in the world of bridges.

Without this knowledge, which is niche and can only be found on Ibanez rules website and niche forums like this one, as most people online don't know this, is impossible to set this guitar correctly.

Last edited by Fowleri; 01-30-2021 at 03:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-30-2021, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Rich should come up with setup lessons online

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowleri View Post
A lot of people on youtube make videos on how to set up a guitar for free, how difficult would it be to record setup lessons, or how to set up the most popular edge bridge

and sell these "How to" online. He has already revealed his "secrets" on his webpage, but it can be confusing especially for beginners to these systems.

wouldn't be too hard to setup a recorder and explain the process, sell the videos, many would buy them.

I suppose not everyone wants to appear on camera or has the patience to do this.

Not everyone can learn how to do something by just reading some written instructions. These systems are complicated and these can be proven by how many guitar techs have a hard time getting a good setup on these Ibanez Prestiges and Jems. If these guys can't get it right, how could a noob? Rich criticizes them, but they don't have experience with Ibanez bridges or work for Ibanez to know all these things as he does.

Why does Ibanez make these bridges more complicated than they should be? Why make an angled baseplate in relation to the knife edge. Most Floyd Rose are not like this. Most guitar techs unless they are into the world of Ibanez and each one of their bridges, would never know this and just set the bridge angle based on the baseplate rather than the knife edges.

These Floyds are already complicated as they are, why Ibanez has to make a confusing bridge like Edge. No wonder the majority can't set them up correctly is not their fault. They're just going by the norm. This bridge is not the norm.

This doesn't make the guitar tech an idiot, he is just not familiar with this bridge, is an anomaly in the world of bridges.

Without this knowledge, which is niche and can only be found on Ibanez rules website and niche forums like this one, as most people online don't know this, is impossible to set this guitar correctly.
Entitled much? lol

The Edge is no more complicated than any other trem out there and the idea of having the knife edge "neutral" i.e. parallel to the strings should be obvious to anyone with a rudimentary understanding of guitars. It's unfortunate that you've had such bad luck with the "techs" youve taken your guitar to, I've never known anyone struggle like you have, but now you "get it" hopefully we won't need to see any more of these threads will we?
Fowleri likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-30-2021, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Entitled much? lol

The Edge is no more complicated than any other trem out there and the idea of having the knife edge "neutral" i.e. parallel to the strings should be obvious to anyone with a rudimentary understanding of guitars. It's unfortunate that you've had such bad luck with the "techs" youve taken your guitar to, I've never known anyone struggle like you have, but now you "get it" hopefully we won't need to see any more of these threads will we?
I kinda understand where the angle needs to be, but there are many things I don't know. I didn't know the posts had screws, apparently only on edge, low pro, and another one. Why do they do this?

I don't know how to intonate the guitar. I know it has to be done at the saddles, but no idea how is it done on this bridge. Does adjusting the bridge angle and action changes intonation? I don't know this.

I set the angle better this time, now if I want to keep this setup, what happens when is time to change strings? If I remove all the strings, this would mess up the setup and change the bridge angle. I'd have to block the bridge with something, tremblock, or something in between the bridge block and change one string at a time.

I want to ship my guitar for the sustainiac installation. I doubt they can install this pickup without removing the strings as the electronics are behind the pickguard, so they are going to remove them all and is going to mess up the bridge angle. I'd have to ship my guitar with a trem wedge or something in between the bridge block, so the bridge doesn't move.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-30-2021, 06:02 PM
Vendor

A Youtube channel was always in the RETIREMENT plans, when I have nothing else to do. I'd a dealer, not a teacher, my days are packed as it is. I have no idea how to video edit, have good lighting, or do I have the time to put 50 video's together to go thru everything. The tech section was built over many years of answering questions here and asked me directly. I'd write the full complete answer, post it on a page and add some pictures. I only did it so I would never have to answer the same repetitive question again, and it always took time I never had, and was at a time when bandwidth and server space cost real money. I understand everybody wants to just watch and visualize, but that's not paying my bills and I don't have the time. I'm too busy having to write stuff like this.
Rich is online  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-30-2021, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

And on that note, this thread is DONE
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode