Rich's Setup - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Rich's Setup

Hi guys,

I have been reading this forum for a while and I know that the poster Rich has a reputation on here for being the person for setting up Ibanez guitars. I read in a thread that when people buy from his store he sets up the guitars different to Ibanez's own factory specs and I was wondering if anyone knows what specs Rich uses? I'm talking things like action and neck relief mainly.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 10:25 AM

Re: Rich's Setup

Click the ibanez rules banner at the top of the page. That's rich's site!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 10:25 AM

I have not yet had the pleasure of having Rich set up one of my guitars, but he does have a great reputation. My understanding is that he will set it up to player preference, rather than having a standard spec that all his guitars share.

I recommend for your reading:

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

Peace

Mike
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Ahh, sorry guys! I didn't make the connection. Forgive me.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 11:13 AM

Setting up to any kind of "spec" can be troublesome. Every guitar is different, we deal in 1/1000ths of an inch or less, and tolerances on mass produced guitars at every price point are quite large.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 09:20 PM
Vendor

Of course a guitar can be setup to any player spec the specs of the guitar will allow. That IS the job of the tech, to make sure it can be. Within reason, if you want to make big bends on a 7 1/2" radius board with super low action the specs of the guitar will not allow it.

My personal [current] favorite low setup is 1.5mm even at the last fret, relief around .2mm, but i'll use relief to control in between first fret action. .1mm is the thinnest nut shim and can be too much [too high with, too much buzz without], which can be corrected with a hair more or less of neck relief. If I'm asked for something specific in relief then the nut will have to sit the hair too high or low, typically I'll let what the player has told me about style determine which way it will go.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 09:26 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

And I'll personally vouch for Rich's setup and inspection techniques---SECOND-TO-NONE! Whe I ordered my Premium RG920-QMHVV from him, he kepy me up to date through the whole process--"I found this, "I found that," Do you want this?" etc. My guitar arrived setup just as I wanted. You can't go wrong with anything you get from him....PEROID!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 09:32 PM
Vendor

The only problem with that was, you bought it AS IS!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 09:46 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The only problem with that was, you bought it AS IS!
Yeah--but you still kept me informed, ask questions, and set it up like I wanted. Plues, I got that RG-20051 neck from Jesse that you did--FANTASTIC!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 10:00 PM
Vendor

To be fair though, anybody else and on AS IS, I'm just doing, not asking. I'm still doing far more than the customer is buying, but the next contact is me giving them their tracking, and filling them in on anything I did do.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, Rich. I was just curious as to how you do it

Tags
action , neck relief

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode