Rosewood Fretboard Conditioning - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Rosewood Fretboard Conditioning

I've never done anything to my rg's fretboard yet and i was wondering what is best to use

why exactly do most people use various oils on their boards? is it mostly for a cleaning application? does it make it feel like it plays faster?

i've read all kinds of different oils to use, and i wanted a fellow jemsiter's advice on what is best to use

i'm changing pickups/strings in a few days so i figured i might as well get the fretboard as well

another question.....what is the best way to do this? i mean i have my tremelo blocked atm should i just take off all the strings, condition the board, and put them back on

if i take off all the strings....doesn't that screw up the neck and can make it get twisted due to truss rod exerting force but there's no string force? I do all my own maintaince, but i'm a little apprehensive when it comes to adjusting the truss rod, i don't want to break anything

thanks to whoever can answer all my questions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Re: Rosewood Fretboard Conditioning

actually i remembered i saw a great tutorial before (rich's over at ibanezrules)

he said that bore oil would be the best to use followed by lemon oil for conditioning rosewood

i can get lemon oil easilly but i'm not so sure about bore oil....do they only sell that in music stores or something? I'm kind of a picky person and my RG1570 is pretty important to me, I don't want to "skimp" out on anything if i can avoid it

i bought the guitar new, but it sat in the shop for a year so i got a really good deal on it, it is a 2004 model do you think i'll need to use 0000 grade steel wool on it, or should using my pick/elbow greese be enough to clean it and then i'd just apply the oil

how often is it reccomended to clean the fretboard with your pick/wiping it down, and how often should you use oil on it?

sorry for all the questions by i'm new at fretboard conditioning and I want to do a good job on it
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 09:32 PM

I would only use the bore oil, and then only if it needs it (The fretboard looks dried out)
Good old elbow grease goes a long way as well as the pick trick.
You definatley want to give a quick wipe down of your frets and strings after playing. (it will help with the buildup, and the strings last longer)

I would stay away from the steel wool if possible. If you do use it, I would recommend another visit to Ibanezrules and follow the directions closley.

Best of luck
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

thanks alot bud, anyone know if leaving my strings off for a while will be bad for my neck, thats really the main concern i have my guitar plays great, i'd be devistated if i have a twisted neck

Tags
music store , steel wool , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode