Rusted Stuck Neck Bolt - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Rusted Stuck Neck Bolt

Trying to restore an old 1990 S540. My next job is to paint the body. First I need to remove the neck. The neck bolts won't come off. I wish to salvage the neck plate and maybe replace the screws. Any suggestions? I've tried WD40 didn't work. I may need to use a dremel tool and take it out hopefully not in pieces.

Sorry the thumbnail is different image.. but when clicked its correct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 05:59 PM

Reviews: 15
Re: Rusted Stuck Neck Bolt

Doesn't look like you'd be able to salvage that bolt anyway. Just keep going at it with a hammer drill to get it out. Then buy a new one. Seeing that it's deeper than the rest, it might not be an original screw anyway.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks... Yeah I will need to replace the screws... anyone know off hand what screw sizes are?

I will try hammering it a bit to losen it up. I've heard that some people used glue on the screws to help make it sound like a glued on neck. If that's the case I may need to use nail polish or something to remove the glue first. I hope this is not the case.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 10:32 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmasters View Post
Thanks... Yeah I will need to replace the screws... anyone know off hand what screw sizes are?

I will try hammering it a bit to losen it up. I've heard that some people used glue on the screws to help make it sound like a glued on neck. If that's the case I may need to use nail polish or something to remove the glue first. I hope this is not the case.
watch the length on the screws if it's the tilt-neck the low-E screws are longer than the high-E screws. Too long and you'll go thru the fretboard.

I would try some heat and dish soap (not oil) to loosen the screw after lightly tapping it. You should have no trouble getting wood screws out but you are damaging the hex the point where you might not easily get it out since it's countersunk in a metal plate. If you can loosen ultimately get a flat head vice-grip on it that will let you remove it as the hex gets wrecked.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode