Saddle problem on Edge Pro - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Saddle problem on Edge Pro

Hi! After getting my nut problem fixed I now have a new problem. Recently I have broken a couple of first strings (.009) and today I found out that the strings have cut small holes in the saddles. The guitar is about a year old and I think it is a little early to experience this kind of problem, so I was wondering if it's a common problem with the EP trem or I'm just unlucky? I guess i can file it away but with the pace it seems to have I might need changing saddles in a couple of years or so... Never had that problem with Lo Pro Edge... It seem as if the material is to soft for a string...
Thomas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 05:36 PM

Re: Saddle problem on Edge Pro

What do you mean by "cut small holes in the saddles"? The string groove is supposed to be there. Where is the hole you are referring to?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Okay now I've tried to draw it on this one...The string has cut through where the green line is in the red ring... LOL. I know it's a bad drawing but maybe you get the picture now? When strings cut marks like this they break very easy and i've had to change the first string once a week. And I haven't even used the whammy bar... And it's a nearly new guitar.
Is this a common problem or is it just me?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saddlemarked.JPG (14.0 KB, 93 views)
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 01:18 PM

i haven't experienced any problem with the edge-pro at all (rg1550) yet i do know what you mean! i noticed that there are small marks, but i don't find them breaking my strings! my trem is floating perfect and i just love that guitar, yet it took me a while to figure out the perfect settings (neck bow, action, etc...)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 09:10 PM

i've had a similar problem, but I wouldn't refer to them as 'holes,' they're burrs in the steel. The guy that works at our local ibanez retailer said this was a common problem on the earlier edge pros and has since been resolved. He said that he would order me some new saddles as soon as I give the word. I don't know if the salesmen around your area will do this though.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 09:32 PM

Yeah, it does sound like a sharp edge. You could try to clean it up with a small file if you can locate the sharp edge. But it would probably be better to just replace that saddle and try again.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 12:57 AM

had this on my jem and my rg , both new and after a few weeks i changed the strings , now when i bended a string i would hear a click , it was the same groove you are on about , i used a file to smooth the saddle and so far so good , i have changed strings heaps now and the problem hasnt returned.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks!
So this means that if I buy new saddles the problem shouldn't occur again?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 01:44 PM
Vendor

The inserts are spun on a lathe and sometimes you'll get them with grooves left in them from machining. I seriously doubt the string did anything to the inserts, they're much harder than the string or the cast saddle the string used to rest on [and the string never cut a groove into the old saddles]

Swap it with a wound string saddle.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

You mean like swapping the saddle on the sixth-string with the saddle on the first-string?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 02:11 PM
Vendor

Yessss
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Cool! And thanks

Tags
edge pros , neck bow , pro edge , string saddle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode