Saddle repair or new trem? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Saddle repair or new trem?

Last Friday I replaced the strings on my S670FM with ZRI trem, D'addario 10s.

Love the strings, they're pretty rugged and sound nice, but today, the Wednesday after I replaced the strings my high e has gone.

I can see a slight irregularity in the colour of the saddle (there's a light patch in amongst the usual cosmo colouring) which is where the string is sitting.

How would I go about fixing this, or would I be better off to get a replacement saddle?

My other solution is to change my trem out completely for a ZRII, so I can have that nice pop in arm. Would this be a direct swap and how much would one of these things cost me?

I appreciate all your help guys (and girls).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 04:49 PM

Re: Saddle repair or new trem?

Change them again, bad strings do exist. I doubt theres anything wrong with the saddle. In the unlikely event there IS however, and successive sets of d'addario's all break at the high E, then it should be a fairly simple fix, even something you could do at home.

Generally, it will NOT be a burr in the saddle, despite what many people will tell you. Its much more likely that the saddle block isn't seating against the string correctly, or that you're tightening it too much and causing it to 'flatten' the string, which will make it especially susceptible to metal fatigue in the opposite plane (which just so happens to be the way your trem moves)

Now I'm not saying to keep it finger tight or anything, it still needs to lock the string down, but you shouldn't be applying much extra force to keep things seated properly. Better too loose slightly and have it pop out, than too hard and have it snap! A popped string can simply be replaced with a little bit more torque applied to keep it in there.

Make sure the saddle block is engaged with the string too. On those trems (I have two) its possible for the thinner strings to slip into the corner of the lock, where its not held properly and can pop out. Make sure the string contacts the center of the lock.

If all else fails, those trems can be a little rough, so I would take an extremely thin round file to the saddles, one of a very very fine grade, and just smooth things out a little bit, taking away roughness while being very careful not to alter the profile of the saddle (And avoiding the back area if possible, since if you change the profile there by accident, the lock may not seat snugly anymore. Keep your modifications to the intonation point and just behind/in front of it)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

The string is breaking at the intonation point, does the point about overtightening still apply?

And this is the second time I've had to change a reasonably new set of strings, the last set lasted 2-3 weeks, without extensive playing though.

Last edited by skins345669; 12-02-2009 at 05:20 PM.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 05:34 PM

yes it does, possibly. I'd try it one or two more times if possible, then I would perhaps seek the advice of rich before embarking on any modifications or work on the guitar. Some detailed pics of the saddle would help too.

Make sure to use the macro mode to capture a nice clear image, and if you encounter problems with focus (Shiny objects often are hard to capture), then you can 'trick' the camera into focusing properly by placing a sheet of paper in front of the object and taking it away before the shutter comes across.

Tags
burr , retrofit , saddle , string break , zr trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode