Saddle Shims - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Saddle Shims

I am planning on replacing my TRS II with a ofr, frp, edge, I dunno. I have read everything I can on the forum. The question I have is How can I get the bridge to match the fretboard radi? I have read about shims but I can't find a place to get em. Should I make them? What would be the best material? I have seen pictures in a few books i have of these shims. I seem to be stuck on this one aspect of figuring out what to do.

Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 10:55 AM

If you can find a music store that does in-house repairs, they will have saddle shims.

If you can't find them, order some from Rich. (Ibanezrules.com)

If you don't want to go that road you can make them from a cut up soda can (I've done this) and it works fine.
Just remember to clean the can really well before you start cutting.

Mic
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 03:39 AM

Re: Saddle Shims

Provided your fingerboard has the standard 'flat' radius, you probably won't need shims at all. Even the Edge won't require shims because the baseplate has 'shims' molded right into it.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 04:34 AM
Vendor

Which assumes every mold for the saddles and the baseplates were precisely the same, for the most part they're excellent, not on all though. You will find both low and high saddles on Edges, Lo Pro's, and of course most glaringly on the Edge Pros
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 08:49 AM

Dude, you can make shims out of most anything that can be cut with an xacto knife. Yeah, metal shims would be preferable, but why go through all that trouble when you can just use some thick catalogue paper or something like that. I had to shim one saddle on my Jackson, so I cut out a little shim from a carvin gear catalogue. It works just fine, and I notice no difference in the sound.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, much appreciated.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 10:29 PM

Stew Mac sells stainless steel shims for the Floyd Rose, I've used em on Lo Pro's & Edges with no trouble.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 01:43 PM
ggmalcolm

Re: Saddle Shims

USE THIN TINFOIL .. IT CAN BE FOLDED TO ADD THICKNESS

Tags
edge pros , floyd rose , music store

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode