Sanding vs. Wool - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Sanding vs. Wool

I'm in the middle of another project and just shot the last of my paint. I was picking up supplies and saw some 0000 wool next to the tack cloth so I picked some up. I have never used wool before so I'm wondering what are the pros and cons of wool vs. wet sanding and which is prefered. Also when is it okay to use wool? Is it good for the final paint sanding before clear or just after clear is done? Thanks jemsters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2011, 10:19 PM
Vendor

Re: Sanding vs. Wool

Steel wool should never be used on paint you're intending to polish, at any stage of the job.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Steel wool should never be used on paint you're intending to polish, at any stage of the job.
good to know. Thank you!
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 12:54 PM

if you use it, make sure you put tape over the pickups. hard to get off the magnets
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 01:36 PM

I have used 000 and 0000 wool between coats of polyurethane clear coats with great results. I cannot comment on paint, stick with rich's recommendations, as he's usually right. If you start working with poly clearcoats, steel wool is less messy, lasts longer, and conforms to the guitar's curves better than sandpaper for roughing in between coats (i've found). I've been warned away from steel wool with waterbased products, though.

A
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgosline View Post
I have used 000 and 0000 wool between coats of polyurethane clear coats with great results. I cannot comment on paint, stick with rich's recommendations, as he's usually right. If you start working with poly clearcoats, steel wool is less messy, lasts longer, and conforms to the guitar's curves better than sandpaper for roughing in between coats (i've found). I've been warned away from steel wool with waterbased products, though.

A
Thanks! very helpful, I will try that. What about for the final sanding? should I stick with wetsanding up to the end? Thats what I usually do.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 01:50 PM
Vendor

I've used it on doors between coats, but if you want a gloss finish I'd never use it on guitar paint. There is no control over the depth of scratching with steel wool, where sandpaper has a constant grit.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 06:32 PM

Reviews: 2

You should also know that ANY traces of the steel wool left behind WILL oxidize.... in other words RUST under your clear. Stick to wet-sanding.....using an automotive sanding sponge will get you around any contours nicely.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 01:52 AM

Reviews: 11

To reiterate what rich has said... do NOT use steel wool on paint. DO NOT. Ive used almost every method possible to finish clear coats. Steel wool does NOT work.

Right now, Im using polyester, urethane, and enamels to clear. Wet sanding works. Why tempt fate with steel wool?

that said, nothing replicates steel wool over an oil finish (i.e. your neck! )

edit : 600/800/1000 wet sand, then buff with scratch and haze remover. Polish with a good polish.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
To reiterate what rich has said... do NOT use steel wool on paint. DO NOT. Ive used almost every method possible to finish clear coats. Steel wool does NOT work.

Right now, Im using polyester, urethane, and enamels to clear. Wet sanding works. Why tempt fate with steel wool?

that said, nothing replicates steel wool over an oil finish (i.e. your neck! )

edit : 600/800/1000 wet sand, then buff with scratch and haze remover. Polish with a good polish.
good to know. I will be using true oil on the neck so I could use wool on that, plus I have some dirty pots and pans I need to wash. lol
geez, I've been wet sanding up to 2000,, an I obsessing?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

I finished the final paint sanding with...a trusty sanding sponge!!!, one of the thick ones with the angled edge. Jesus. I've had this thing sitting around for years and finally it hits me to try it. I won't be going back to sandpaper ever again.. (except for the clear coat) The sponge did it all, even the edges, with no sand-through and everything turned out super even..

Last edited by GUITARMAGEDDON; 10-05-2011 at 07:50 PM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 09:03 AM

so much hating on the steel wool A word of caution on those sanding sponges or nylon abrasive pads. I bought some from a local hardware store, red was medium and blue was fine. Red did a nice job, but blue rubbed blue streaks into the finish that were difficult to get out. I can't remember the brand, but they were NOT 3M. I switched to steel wool and didn't have this problem.

By the way, that paint job looks great and we are looking forward to the finished guitar
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks,
Seems like 3M products are the way to go. The headquarters(its like a little town) is literally a few blocks from my house! I tried to get a job there years back but they were not hiring at the time.

Tags
sanding wool steel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode