satchurator wont turn on - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

satchurator wont turn on

Hi well i was wondering if any1 could tell me why my satchurator its been like this for awhile now and about a week ago i decided to get it out and try messing with it and then it started getting hot... idk if thats a bad sign but i was wondering if any1 has any ideas on if theres anyway to get it working agian it would be cool lol thanks even when i plug in the 9volt battery and into the little socket behind it it wont work either and with the cables plugged in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 06:23 AM

Re: satchurator wont turn on

Well, the first thing to do is get it open and look that the internal circuit. Does it even turn on? If not even that you've probably got a blown electrolytic cap. If you're familiar with them there, it's easy to spot a problem, they usually buldge on the dop and leak,. If you're not familiar with circuitry and slodering take it to an electronics tech, he should be able to fix it but will probably charge 10 times the price that it would cost for you to do it yourself. Post ome pics of the pedals circuit I maight be able to help you out.

Nelson
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 10:25 AM

Reviews: 18

I'd be interested in seeing pictures as well. I wonder what triggered the pedal not coming on? Was there a power surge and the pedal got hit?

I hope you get it resolved.

Jimmy
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 10:31 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Let's see the circuit board...

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

ile post some pics later today wow thanks for the advice nelson im not that big on circuit boards and stuff but lets see.. lol it might just be cheaper buying a used one tho and if i can get it working i can buy the knobs from vox (i hope) and put them on there lol
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartvader View Post
ile post some pics later today wow thanks for the advice nelson im not that big on circuit boards and stuff but lets see.. lol it might just be cheaper buying a used one tho and if i can get it working i can buy the knobs from vox (i hope) and put them on there lol
You won't need new knobs--those aren't the problem. It's most likely a cap, or two--based on the heat build up.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Well its just i had another satchurator and i had this one on warranty at guitar center and it went out so i got a new one then one of the knobs went out on the 1 that i got new from guitar center and well yeah i just switched them out and it works haha XD so thats why i need new knobs for this one i took off the gain and volume HAHA but it works =D
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

if u need any other pics just say so lol
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 02:54 AM
Banned

Your electrolytic-aluminum caps look fine. I don't see scorching anywhere either. It could be one of the film caps. You're going to have to either take it to a repair shop, or if you know how to use a multimeter--start checking voltages. You might also have a fried transistor--I see a few of those in there.
Here's the schematic for you to start tracing the circuit:

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 06:08 AM

hi, from what I see it's hard to identify any faulty component be eye. Your best bet is, based on the Alaskabat's scheme, to start measuring voltages and continuity. Look carefully at those transistors, from my experience when they fry they become scorched. With regards to the electrolytics take a readinf from them anyway, set you're multimeter to ohms and they should charge up to infinity if they're ok, just reverse the polarity tips if they fall instead of go up. Another thing to chaeck should be the diodes and resitors (I hate these miniature surface mount type). I can guide you through more or less the testing process. Personally I'd start from the power section, with the pedal hooked up and follow the traces as you do along.

P.S. If you don't have any experience you're probably better off taking it to a tech.

Good luck,
Nelson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode