scalloped - going wood-less - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

scalloped - going wood-less

ok i know we always talk about this in the old site, but its only proper to *have one in the new site.. and since this is the tech site.. here we go
we all know that scalloping *is a big deal and should be done by a tech .. that said...
how do we go about doing it ourself....?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 02:49 PM

scalloped

With great patience.

Slowly and carefully with a good set of round or half-round files and a whole lot of TLC.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 03:32 PM

scalloped

I've always been tempted myself, but was too scared and left it to the tech's.
I'd say cylindrical file, sandpaper ( many grades ) and wire wool.
But hey, what do I know

Steve
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

scalloped

.. so how deep and how far do you go away from the frets?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 07:11 PM

scalloped

I admit I've never done it myself and don't have the time or patience to do it, so I let Mr.Falbo handle that job.

I do know (from what I've heard) that you are supposed to use half-round files.Oh yeah, don't forget to refinish afterwards

(Edited by evopogov3 at 7:12 pm on Dec. 14, 2000)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 08:42 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
scalloped

I don't consider this a D.I.Y. home project by any stretch. Not unless you are a woodworking pro.

Odds are the first timer will RUIN their fretboard/neck. It's not just filing the fretboard down for the scallops but getting each the correct depth keeping them all proportional. Next up is not ruining the inlays.

If you are good with woodworking I suggest practice on a wood blank or two first. Then buy a cheap neck to try your skills. I'd do a handfull of complete neck scallops before attempting this myself on a personal guitar. Still for the vast majority, I'd leave this to the pros... glen
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 09:56 PM

scalloped

well said glen. ooh ooh ahh (I said that for no reason, just to keep bob of my back for always saying few words
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 09:56 PM

Reviews: 3
scalloped

I'll have to bring my RG-770 to Jemfest...scalloped it with a DREMEL!!!! *Worst looking scallop job you'll ever see... but it plays like a DREAM. *
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

scalloped

well i started tonight.. only did most of the first fret though... *need to pick up a lot more sand paper and a semi round file....
do i have to refinish the neck of a rosewod fretboard..
(ok if that mad sense)
buzz
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 11:23 PM

scalloped

You'll want to re-oil it to hydrate the exposed wood for sure and give it a good rub which will be a sort of 'finish'. You could probably use 0000 guage steel wool if your really careful.

Just a thought:

The whole point for scalloping is to lessen/relieve fingerboard drag (when your finger touches the fingerboard while depressing a string).

If you look closely, on most frets (above 5 or so really.. maybe 7) on the bass strings and above say 9 or so on the treble strings, the distance between the frets is short enough that your finger doesn't touch the fingerboard anyway. So scalloping the entire fretboard (all 6 strings) and every fret is kind of silly.

Your fingers aren't touching the fingerboard anyway on about 85% of the frets; unless your playing a Les Paul with those little flat things they call frets.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

scalloped

ya know jeffrey .. ive thought long and hard about that too... i was only gonna dig out the ones i wanted too... but then i figured all the other people knew what they were doing when the scalloped all of them
hummm
buzz
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

scalloped

ya know jeffrey .. ive thought long and hard about that too... i was only gonna dig out the ones i wanted too... but then i figured all the other people knew what they were doing when the scalloped all of them
hummm
buzz
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 10:16 AM

scalloped

A dremel Jay? That would almost be worth the trip to Jemfest to check out:shocked:

Sounds like it could work. "It takes a steady hand"
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 10:57 AM

scalloped

Personally, if i were scalloping my own neck for the first time, i wouldn't have started at fret 1. I would have either started at the top and work down, or start at 12 and work up. Then if i liked the results, i'd consider going all the way down. That way, if i screw it up, my neck is only HALF useless.

Scalloping the ENTIRE neck, can pose intonation problems when chording in the lower registers... i wouldn't want that, personally.

To each his own, i guess.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 11:14 AM

scalloped

Check this site out
Scalloping a Fretboard

It will give you step-by-step instructions and the tools you will need to do the job yourself.

J>

Tags
les paul , steel wool , string guage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode