Scalloping Frets - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 12
Scalloping Frets

I'm planning to scalloping my last 6 frets of my Ibanez RG470. I was wondering what's the appropriate depth for each scalloped fret.
Another question if anyone knows if an Ibanez Lo-pro Edge could easily replace the current Ibanez Lo-TRS bridge I currently have.
Thankx for thelp
Reg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 07:21 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Scalloping Frets

scallop as little as you need for a good feel. As per the FAQ the LoPro/Edge will NOT fit a TRS equipped guitar. Personally speaking i'd sell that axe and reconsider the scalloping on a Japanese RG5xx or better... glen
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 07:38 PM

Scalloping Frets

You will need to router out about 1/16" or better on both sides of the trem cavity if your serious about making the change and dont want to replace the whole guitar.........the Edge is just that much wider as far as trem cavities are concerned....

If your going to Scallop the neck take a look at this tutorial on how to do it.....
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 09:26 PM

Scalloping Frets

if you want to see a decent description on scalloping, see the previous topic entitled "scalloping the fingerboard". *im not sure about the one-size-fits-all take on files for scalloping -- i think my version is more difficult to screw up and allows for the different radii necessary as you move up the neck.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 03:26 AM

Scalloping Frets

Shawn that one tool was ment for the top 4-6 frets alone.....

Of course you'll need larger files for wider spaces if you were planning to go all the way up the fret board.....
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 10:45 AM

Scalloping Frets

ah, understood

Tags
equipped guitar , fret board , pro edge , trs bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode