Ibanez JEM Forum banner
6K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  little wing 
#1 ·
Since trying the Jem7V, and another guitar which had scalloped frets all over the fingerboard, I have become interested in the idea of scalloping some of the frets of my guitar's fingerboard. After a lot of experimentation I have decided to scallop the highest 7 of one of my guitars' 24 frets (a cheap one to start with!), and then from there see whether it will work out for my others.

Has anyone else done this before, on their own? I plan to use my Dremel with the round sanding bits, and am thinking of trying to scallop just the top half (highest three strings). The fingerboard I will be trying it on is rosewood.

Any potential problems with this others have encountered (with chipping, refinishing, fret damage etc), or advice would be most appreciated!

#2 ·
Scalloping Frets

I've done this twice, once on a semi-good neck and the other on a very bad neck just to practice. On the bad neck the only problem I had was that on the twelfth fret I wore through the dot inlays and screwed it up but that was on a cheap neck off of a guitar that I got for $50 and so the inlay was probably not deep at all. On the second one I had no problems with the inlay but just be careful that you don't scallop too deep. Good Luck!

#3 ·
Scalloping Frets

I wouldn't use a dremel, if the bit catches you will inevitably run into the fret and screw it up. I have always used a round file or a half round. I also cover the frets with masking tape to protect them a bit. Just slowly start at the center point between 2 frets. The round files come in many diameters so it isn't hard to find a radius that you will be happy with. I find that generall a 3/8" diameter works well. once you have the shape roughed out go at it with 320 grit sandpaper to smooth it out and work your way up to 600 grit paper or finer if you want.
This technique works very well and is not time consuming really. I did an entire strat neck for my friend like Malmsteens guitar and it came out perfect. When you go to the lower frets though (1 - 15 or so) I use different size dowel with 120 grit paper wrapped around instead of a file to keep the radius shallow enough.
Jeremy

#4 ·
Scalloping Frets

I wouldn't use a dremel, if the bit catches you will inevitably run into the fret and screw it up. I have always used a round file or a half round. I also cover the frets with masking tape to protect them a bit. Just slowly start at the center point between 2 frets. The round files come in many diameters so it isn't hard to find a radius that you will be happy with. I find that generall a 3/8" diameter works well. once you have the shape roughed out go at it with 320 grit sandpaper to smooth it out and work your way up to 600 grit paper or finer if you want.
This technique works very well and is not time consuming really. I did an entire strat neck for my friend like Malmsteens guitar and it came out perfect. When you go to the lower frets though (1 - 15 or so) I use different size dowel with 120 grit paper wrapped around instead of a file to keep the radius shallow enough.
Jeremy

#8 ·
Scalloping Frets

depends on how well you want to protect your remaining fingerboard. Something to prevent your fingerboard from becoming twisted like a Florida election (sorry, just woke up, lame joke filter not off yet). Depending on how many frets you scalloped, you may want to invest in a full-laquer (ala Fender, etc). You're not going to feel the difference anyways, so why not do the best to protect things.

If you're really looking for something cool... you can do an aluminum composite with the right amount of epoxy added on the fretboard (if you do a full scallop or otherwise). Not only will it look cool, but your fingerboard will have a nice shield on it. For examples, see Parker. I believe they will even tell you how to get the job done.

Otherwise, if it's just a few frets at the end... some Tung Oil will keep things safe enough.

#13 ·
Scalloping Frets

O yeah i probably should have mentiond that answer. Your Inlays will be fine up to 2/3 the way through your fret board (on a rosewood ofcourse, maple would be gone in no time) if you get to having a problem with that you probably should stop. My 3rd fret one is a lot smaller than it use to be but all the rest look the same.

Oil away at that fret board it will look dark at first but lighten up to a nice rosewood color later.

My neck was a 7 stringer I scalloped the whole thing then put it all back together and it didnt miss a beat. The action is still set perfect like i left it. No worrys

buzz

#14 ·
Scalloping Frets

I recently scalloped some frets on a cheap but good neck I got. I used a smaller round file on the last 3 frets, so the file itself didn't take out the entire width between the frets. I kinda just angled the file between the frets to make the scallop wider. So my scallops aren't extremely deep, and you can touch a little bit of wood directly behind the fret. I like the way this feels as opposed to touching nothing at all, but it takes a long time to get it to look and feel right.

#15 ·
Scalloping Frets

I scalloped the top 4 frets of my Kramer Focus (21-fret neck with rosewood fingerboard). Wow - those four frets play really nicely now! As I started with the highest fret of another neck, I got the idea of scalloping them gradually shallower (my logic being that the wider frets didn't need scalloping - I felt - so the wider a fret was the less depth it needed). The idea has worked marvellously and the top 7 frets or so feel 'consistent', without a sudden dip in the fingerboard like the evenly scalloped fingerboard. Has anyone else tried this before?

#16 ·
Scalloping Frets

well, i finally got up the balls and info to do it -------- i scalloped frets 12-24 (top 4 already done) on my jem 7v. i called ibanez and got a tech to measure the inlays for me to make sure that i didnt go through, and i had zero problems. easy as it could be, and i couldnt love it more. next is the UV777bk. i certainly recommend doing it. between the buzz feiton mod, the scalloping, the pickup changes, blackening of the UV fretboard, etc., ive come to the conclusion that i am obsessed: i cannot stop f***ing with my guitars. it really is sad. anyone else have this same affliction?

#20 ·
Scalloping acoustics would be a bit pointless... Scallops are there so you can bend strings easily, and they hurt like B@stards if you try to chord on them (thats why they are normally only on the higher register, where you dont form chords as much). And unless your into lead playing on your acoustic... :wink:
-Better shred than dead- ANDY

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.