Schaller Floyd - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brooksville, Florida
Posts: 230
Reviews: 13
Schaller Floyd

I am going to have a custom guitar built, but the builders cannot rout for an ibby trem like i want them to. They can, however, rout for a schaller floyd.

I read somewhere that a schaller floyd would drop into an edge III cavity, and that an edge pro would also drop into an Edge III cavity.

Does this mean that an edge pro would drop into a Schaller Cavity?

Also, would i just want to install a Schaller Tremolo on my guitar over an Ibanez? What are some advantages/Disadvantages between the Schaller Floyd Rose and the Edge Pro tremolos?
DownHomeRock is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 06:54 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,060
Reviews: 1
Re: Schaller Floyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownHomeRock View Post
I am going to have a custom guitar built, but the builders cannot rout for an ibby trem like i want them to. They can, however, rout for a schaller floyd.

I read somewhere that a schaller floyd would drop into an edge III cavity, and that an edge pro would also drop into an Edge III cavity.

Does this mean that an edge pro would drop into a Schaller Cavity?

Also, would i just want to install a Schaller Tremolo on my guitar over an Ibanez? What are some advantages/Disadvantages between the Schaller Floyd Rose and the Edge Pro tremolos?
I know a Edge Pro will fit in place of an Edge III, and I personly LOVE the edge pro!
Now I do not know if they will fit in place of a floyd?
I Do own both and prefer the EDGE Pro over the floyd.
Jamm'n Jimmy is offline  
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 10:17 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 2,646
Re: Schaller Floyd

the one thing I love about the schaller on my charvel is that you don't need to cut the balls off the strings,, they go right through the back under the fine tuners. don't know why that never caught on..its sooo much easier
GUITARMAGEDDON is offline  
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Moderator
 
Ayrton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 4,209
Re: Schaller Floyd

I don't know anyone who removes the ball end of strings anymore. Just run the string through the tuner first, clip the length and tune.

Why can't this builder not route for an Edge? Are you building something based on an Ibanez or just wanted to use the Edge trem?

If for any reason you can't use the Edge, I would go Original Floyd Rose or Gotoh.

Last edited by Ayrton; 12-02-2011 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Spelling
Ayrton is offline  
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 09:30 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 554
Reviews: 6
Re: Schaller Floyd

If you're getting it custom made, they should be able to do what you want. I'd get it routed for an OFR. A Schaller will fit in an OFR route, but an OFR might not fit in a Schaller route (string lock screws might be too long, depending on intonation).
Philboski is offline  
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brooksville, Florida
Posts: 230
Reviews: 13
Re: Schaller Floyd

its a warmoth strat that i am having built, and warmoth tells me that they can only rout for two different full floating tremolos, the schaller floyd, and an OFR. I want to put an ibanez trem in this guitar, but i want to know which trems will fit in either of these available routs.
DownHomeRock is offline  
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 06:47 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,291
Reviews: 98
Re: Schaller Floyd

The OFR and Schaller are the same size, so if routing for one--the other will fit too.
If you weren't aware--Schaller actually makes the OFR.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Sp...ctions#details

As I mentioned in the other thread about this--you just need to research the dimensions of each tremendous. Since that wasn't done--here you go:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...IIIB36w3EKd0Dg

http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/brid...se_Diagram.pdf


http://schaller-electronic.com/hp14717/Schaller-FR.htm


Ibanez OE and LoPro rout dimensions:
3 3/4" at the widest point near bridge pup.
2 7/8" at narrower point near bottom face of body.
1 11/16" from top wide area to curve to narrow area.
1 1/2" from wide area curve to bottom of the route.
3/4" deep all around except post shelf.
1/4" deep post shelf.
Hope this info helps a little...



AlaskaBat is offline  
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Moderator
 
Ayrton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 4,209
Re: Schaller Floyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
The OFR and Schaller are the same size, so if routing for one--the other will fit too.
That is incorrect. The Schaller string lock screws are shorter than a Floyd. The Schaller will fit in an OFR route, but not the other way.

The Floyd Rose route will accommodate both the Floyd and the Edge, but keep in mind that the Floyd studs are smaller than the Ibanez/Gotoh.

I think you will find it easier to just install a Floyd Rose (Warmoth is actually one of the cheapest places to get German Floyds)

Getting both the trem and the body from Warmoth will insure everything fits like you want.
Ayrton is offline  
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 10:00 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,291
Reviews: 98
Re: Schaller Floyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
That is incorrect. The Schaller string lock screws are shorter than a Floyd. The Schaller will fit in an OFR route, but not the other way.

The Floyd Rose route will accommodate both the Floyd and the Edge, but keep in mind that the Floyd studs are smaller than the Ibanez/Gotoh.

I think you will find it easier to just install a Floyd Rose (Warmoth is actually one of the cheapest places to get German Floyds)

Getting both the trem and the body from Warmoth will insure everything fits like you want.
I meant the typical routing. The baseplates are about the same--just the bottom portion for the string lock screws is a bit longer. The places I've seen usually rout for the Schaller and it will accommodate both.



AlaskaBat is offline  
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brooksville, Florida
Posts: 230
Reviews: 13
Re: Schaller Floyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
That is incorrect. The Schaller string lock screws are shorter than a Floyd. The Schaller will fit in an OFR route, but not the other way.

The Floyd Rose route will accommodate both the Floyd and the Edge, but keep in mind that the Floyd studs are smaller than the Ibanez/Gotoh.

I think you will find it easier to just install a Floyd Rose (Warmoth is actually one of the cheapest places to get German Floyds)

Getting both the trem and the body from Warmoth will insure everything fits like you want.
so basically, i could have the body routed for a floyd, and then put an ibanez edge/lopro in and everything would fit?
DownHomeRock is offline  
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 12:50 PM
Moderator
 
Ayrton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 4,209
Re: Schaller Floyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownHomeRock View Post
so basically, i could have the body routed for a floyd, and then put an ibanez edge/lopro in and everything would fit?
The hole will fit, but you will have to enlarge the post holes to accept Ibanez studs.

Unless you know what you are doing, I would highly recommend going with a real Floyd over the Ibanez trem for this one.
Ayrton is offline  
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brooksville, Florida
Posts: 230
Reviews: 13
Re: Schaller Floyd

yeah thats what i was thinking. Ive been reading about the schaller, and the original floyd, and i guess they arent that bad.

Now i do have a serious question, is this worth it? or are the knives going to be wrecked after the first dive?

http://www.***************.com/acces...ge-with-r3-nut

musicians friend
DownHomeRock is offline  
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 12:01 AM
Moderator
 
Ayrton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 4,209
Re: Schaller Floyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownHomeRock View Post
yeah thats what i was thinking. Ive been reading about the schaller, and the original floyd, and i guess they arent that bad.

Now i do have a serious question, is this worth it? or are the knives going to be wrecked after the first dive?
Huh?

The quality of a German made Floyd Rose is not an issue. The only real difference between the Edge and the Floyd are the materials used.

The Floyd is all hardened steel, and the Edge is cast with steel knife inserts. One is not "better" than the other...

I have Floyds that are over 20 years old and still work like new.
Ayrton is offline  
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 12:27 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,291
Reviews: 98
Re: Schaller Floyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
Huh?

The quality of a German made Floyd Rose is not an issue. The only real difference between the Edge and the Floyd are the materials used.

The Floyd is all hardened steel, and the Edge is cast with steel knife inserts. One is not "better" than the other...

I have Floyds that are over 20 years old and still work like new.
Yep! My first double-locking trem was an OFR on my Kramer Focus 1000 that I bought in 1985---awesome trem!



AlaskaBat is offline  
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 08:34 AM
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 2,561
Reviews: 34
Re: Schaller Floyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownHomeRock View Post
yeah thats what i was thinking. Ive been reading about the schaller, and the original floyd, and i guess they arent that bad.

Now i do have a serious question, is this worth it? or are the knives going to be wrecked after the first dive?

http://www.***************.com/acces...ge-with-r3-nut

musicians friend
Schallers are extremely robust trems. I have had loads and it is my trem of choice for custom builds not least cause it is easily available.

Honestly, I've had them on loads of guitars, and also some original edge trems at the same time and the difference is minimal. Maybe the edge has a slightly smoother feel, but it is a very fine margin.
nickcoumbe is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FT: chrome schaller floyd & nut John.E.Fawkes Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 0 08-09-2010 02:59 PM
WTB: Schaller Floyd or Floyd Rose II slask1 Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 0 09-09-2007 05:32 AM
Replacing A Schaller Floyd wallopwallop Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 4 11-16-2005 02:23 AM
Schaller Floyd Rose schmintan Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 2 02-04-2003 08:00 PM
Edge Vs Floyd Vs Schaller - Is one better than the others? AttheGatesofSorrow Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 15 03-25-2002 01:14 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome