Schaller Lockmeister instead of Edge on MIJ RG470 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Schaller Lockmeister instead of Edge on MIJ RG470

Hi all,
due to broken saddle bolt on the Edge bridge (just couldnt find the right replacement), I have changed the whole bridge with Schaller Lockmeister tremolo and it is OK - for the most part. I've found the Edge posts were larger in diameter so I have mounted the new bridge using the existing posts and everything is fine.
Except few things I can't resolve by myself.
The issue is the low E string (I use .10 gauge, 3 springs in parallel), it just won't stay in tune though I'm not using tremolo that much. It tends to go flat every 10 minutes or so during playing. Now, I have checked every setup aspect multiple times, everything is as it should be, the bridge is flush, parallel to the body, nut clamps - OK, intonation and saddles are OK to.
I have doublechecked the low E string saddle for slipping - nothing. This began to happen after I've changed the bridge But there is one detail. The nut that came with the Schaller bridge was marked ''R2'' so it's 10'' radius (254mm) while the Wizard necks (mine is '93. MIJ), are 430mm - 17''. This was the reason I didn't want to change the nut but I have changed the clamps and clamp bolts on it.
Could this be the reason for the low E string tuning issue? All other strings stay in tune perfectly, the guitar intonates nicely - everything is better than it was before, the sustain is even better with heavy brass block...I'm confused, please help!
The confusion goes on with the Schaller nut specs, R2 is 41.28mm (for ''old Fenders, Pacers'' - as the spec says) while the R7 (also 41.28mm) is for ''Bullet, Ibanez''. This clearly is because of the string spacing but I can't see the reason for tunung issues. Should I order the R7 nut? As far as I can see all of the nuts are 10''. Maybe I should mount the complete Schaller 10'' nut and check the tunung but I hate the smaller radius on a Wizard neck - just love it this way as many of you here...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 01:36 PM

No, your problem is the original posts are too large in diameter for the Schaller trem, I'm absolutely amazed you couldn't find a saddle bolt for the Edge, it's a standard metric thread size and is readily available online.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Re: Schaller Lockmeister instead of Edge on MIJ RG470

No, it's just the opposite with the posts, Schaller's are too small for the post holes of the Edge, check the specs.
As for the bolt and saddle I couldn't order from Gotoh nor Ibanez because they do not ship to my country and even if they would the price with shipping is way to high to even consider it, I mean the Edge is from '93. it is in good shape, no rust or whatever you may find on Ebay but the Lockmeister is overall a lot better bridge, it is steel while Edge is not. It's built much better so that was good decision.
Anyway - I have solved the problem, it appeared to me today that maybe I'm turning the fine tuner on low E string myself, while playing, touching it too much with the edge of my wrist.
I have made a small mark on it and after an hour or so I noticed it was turned (down tuned) by more than 90 degrees, so my wrist was the culprit...I need to adjust my hand position to new bridge, the fine tuners are turning easier on the new bridge.

Tags
nut , schaller , tremolo replacement , wizard neck radius

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode