Seasonal setup and trem claw tightening - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Seasonal setup and trem claw tightening

Hello,
I noticed that now that summer came, I needed to slightly screw the screws of the trem claw, in order to achieve the same parallel position of the trem plate as before.
I had many incidents like this, back from Oct->Dec when I finally stabilized the guitar. I hadn't touched any tool since then, neither did I change strings. However lately I noticed several open notes going flat according to the digital tuner, so i re-tuned the guitar only to find out that the trem plate angle was not how it used to be and is supposed to be, but had an angle towards to the bridge. So slightly I tightened the two claw screws. Now all readings, measurements are like before.
My question is : is possible that weather affects the springs/claw/screws ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 08:13 AM

Re: Seasonal setup and trem claw tightening

Are you sure that the problem wasn't more with the neck bow changing due to the weather? First thing I'd check is the relief, then return and see where your trem is.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Are you sure that the problem wasn't more with the neck bow changing due to the weather? First thing I'd check is the relief, then return and see where your trem is.
Definitely, I measured the relief first, no change at all. This neck with the KTS titanium rods is a beast. As a matter of fact I had been doing various measurements on the guitar since December, and I always found the values to be constant. Lately I felt that it needed a slight tuning, as some strings were slightly flat, but this caused a rather noticeable lift in the trem plate angle. Therefore I had to slightly screw the claw in clockwise about 1/16 of a turn.
I must note here that I have the 3-springs in parallel configuration on the uv70p, and I found out that the 7-string with 9s is substantially more sensitive than the 6-string with 10s. The slightest change in tension is reflected back in the system. I had this in the beginning as well and kept blaming the instrument for what maybe is inherent to 7-strings. I thought I knew all about floyds, but the uv70p sent me back to school.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 05:39 AM

Where did you keep your guitar? Just wondering if we just leave it inside the case, does it altering your neck setup.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 11:29 AM

Reviews: 2

If all else is ruled out, it's your strings. Having not changed them in 6 months, that makes sense. When you put a new set on- you'll see you have to adjust the claw again.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundfreak22nd View Post
Where did you keep your guitar? Just wondering if we just leave it inside the case, does it altering your neck setup.
In its case, but the sun is hitting right on it in the afternoons->evenings. I guess this has an effect.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
If all else is ruled out, it's your strings. Having not changed them in 6 months, that makes sense. When you put a new set on- you'll see you have to adjust the claw again.
It could be the strings. But Jesse was right, I was very hasty to rule out the added relief due to the temp increase. In the last months I used to measure relief by eye, lately I was amazed I didn;t get no buzz at all in 1st string, 1st fret. Well, I had to take a little relief to make the numbers as they were. Relief was definitely a factor.
I apologize for the false impression. Sorry Jesse!
So moral of the story : even beastie necks do need adjustment at least twice a year!
Now if Ryc's theory is true, I'll have to redo the setup after I change the strings. But I guess its an easy job to do after all the "training" I got!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
In its case, but the sun is hitting right on it in the afternoons->evenings. I guess this has an effect.
Unless they're stored in some hermetically sealed room at very cold temperatures with no tension on them, any strings will degrade over time. strings that are under tension for 6 months have degraded- in or out of the case. They may still be completely playable, but they're not going to be as "solid" as new strings. They'll go out of tune faster and usually need more tension to balance the springs. I don't know the metallurgy of it, but this is pretty much true of any strings.

Glad you got it figured out.......Jesse is a pretty smart guy. If he's offering help- He's probably pretty damn close to nailing down the problem.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 09:36 PM

LOL thanks guys.

I'm way too nerdy to measure relief by eye. I put a capo at the first fret, do the last fret with one and and then use feeler gauges to check the relief.

The only things I trust checking by eye are major issues like humps in the fretboard, high frets, back bow and overall profile (like where generally the relief is).
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
LOL thanks guys.

I'm way too nerdy to measure relief by eye. I put a capo at the first fret, do the last fret with one and and then use feeler gauges to check the relief.

The only things I trust checking by eye are major issues like humps in the fretboard, high frets, back bow and overall profile (like where generally the relief is).
Hey now, there's nothing wrong with measuring by eye.....

Tags
claw , seasonal , setup , springs , trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode