Seymore Duncan vs. Dimarzio - Page 2 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 05:07 AM

Re: Seymore Duncan vs. Dimarzio

Well here is my new two cents. I officially can be a part of the club now and talk about pickups. I just had a D-Sonic put in my RG and I have to tell you that now my guitar is a monster. It screams and growls and all of that stuff. It's tight and full and not to harsh or muffled. Just right an then some. For a long while leading up to this upgrade I was on the fence between getting a Duncan Distortion, A JB, D-Sonic or an Evo 2. I got the D-Sonic because of it's various instalation options and I have to say that I couldn't have picked a more perfect sond for me if I had tested all of them for months.

Personally, I haven't used a Duncan so far yet, but I've played tons of guitars with them and I have to say that they sound great in the store but that's my knowlege limit. I loved the Duncan Distortion to death in all the ESPs and so on I played them in but those were all mahogany and set neck with non-trem bridges. So I was never sure. But if that's the type of guitar you have then I would bet you'd be happy with one of them.

As for DiMarzios, well this D-Sonic sounds so good that I don't feel the need to try Duncans. I don't think between these brands there is a legitimate "better" but I know that from my experience I am satisfied totally by my DiMarzio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 05:47 AM

I've got pickups from six different manufacturers in various guitars, and I gotta say, the brand name on the pickup means absolutely nothing. I've tried various combinations in various guitars, some sounded good in some axes, and crap in others.

There are so many different things that effect the relationship between guitar and pickup, like body and neck wood, amp, style played, technique, etc. Then you can factor in personal preference, which can differ greatly from one player to the next.

So, saying I prefer one brand of pickup to another makes no sense at all to me. I like certain pickups from different manufacturers for certain jobs.

Just my 2 cents.

Rock on!
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 12:52 PM

FYI....this thread is from 2002...
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
FYI....this thread is from 2002...

So high time it was resurected!!

I still can't decide between a SD JB or Pearly gates in the bridge and jazz in the neck of my RGA321F; or Dimarzios of some discription?

By the way, I'm fairly certain 'JB' stands for jazz/blues, not Jeff Beck - he ususally plays a strat!
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 11:50 AM

I like both Duncans and Dimarzios and Emgs. I put them in different guitars to get a good variety of tones.

Tags
dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , jeff beck , les paul , neck pickup , neck pickups , paf pro , paf pros , pickup selection , randy rhoads , seymour duncan , seymour duncan custom , super distortion , tone zone , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in