Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Sharp fret ends

531 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  JsXLine6 
#1 ·
I cut my fingers today by sliding around on my lovely newish guitar. It had developed a sharp end on one of the frets. I assume it was because I had to move it on its stand and it caught direct sunlight for a few days in a heated house - it being winter here - and the neck had dried out a bit.

I've carefully filed it down and it's not so sharp but is there something I should do to re-hydrate the neck? I'm obviously now keeping it out of direct sunlight. I've looked online but most advice seems to be about keeping acoustic guitars at the right humidity and suspending humidifiers in the soundhole but that obviously isn't going to work with a solid body.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

#3 · (Edited)
Keep it oiled with finger board oil. Apply it wet at first, if after about 10 mins it looks completely dry again, apply once more. I typically apply some year around when ever I change my strings. And if using a humidifier be careful, it can cause problems if it's too humid. Hardware can rust and pots can get scratchy. Think of it like... You shouldn't leave your instruments in an unfinished basement because of the moisture in the air. Low humidity isn't typically an issue for electric guitars as long as any bare wood, like a fingerboard or neck, is oiled regularly. Water will cause warpage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.