shimming the neck - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

shimming the neck

hello.........i have a new ibanez 1570 lefty.........upon buying it from american musical supply.......it had no fret buzz anywhere....

But the tremelo seemed to me set high...........the pickups are mounted to the wood body........the tremelo was so high in fact that when i put dimarzio pickpups in it and used the stock foam pads under the pickup by the time i got the pickup high enough to the strings it ran out of compresion from the foam pad..so the pickups would flop.......

after reading the great info here on shimming the neck...i decided to try and do this to mine.........as i noticed at the neck joint the neck it self had a sharp decline in slope comparing it to the top of the body that is........anyways i lowered my tremolo so that the front part near the studs barley sticks above the cavity maybe a 1/8th inch this apears to me to be about the height that the bridge should be set at..........

i took a piece of cardboard and placed it under the back side of my trem to keep it raised and then i took my front neck screws out and placed a piece of credit card inside.......after a few trys i got where i wanted it......

the shim ended up in the center of the neck pocket.........there no buzz anywhere i can play every fret on the low E string no buzz.........

is this commen for others having to shim there necks????

does the tremelo being about a 1/8th inch about the body at the studs sound about right?? thanks for your time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 10:43 PM
Vendor

To get a perfect fourth of pullup with low action 99% will need a neck shim. A busness card is usually more than needed, credit card only if it's called for. Too much neck angle, strings too far off the body, bridge too high, or at least much more than is necessary
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 11:40 PM

if the guitar plays well now, and to your liking, I'd say you did the right thing.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys.........its seems to play just as good as before but now the neck doesnt nose dive in the pocket about a quarter of a inch like it did before..........

and my tremelo is almost flush with the top of the body.....so im happy........kinda makes me mad that it being a prestege neck it was like this though.....
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 05:43 PM
Vendor

"Prestige" just points to neck "finishing", has nothing to do with how well it wasn't setup at the factory
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 10:19 PM

I have a pair of 1570L's now. The DiMarzio's are taller than the V7/V8's. I routed the floor of the pickup cavity under the pickup ears only. Mine bolt up with no shims. My guitars had too much shim under the nut though (.020") , a .005" shim worked well.

Tags
fret buzz , neck angle , neck joint , neck screws , neck shim , pickup cavity

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode