Shocking Pink Paint? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Shocking Pink Paint?

Has anybody gone to the trouble of finding a "Shocking Pink" paint? Is there a paint from PPG or Dupont, etc. that's a close approximation to the original Ibanez color? If so, do you know the code (Kenneth)?

I don't have a guitar that's SK, so I can't have it matched. That'd be to easy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 08:46 PM

www.houseofkolor.com

The original supplier of all the Ibanez neon paint.

Cheers,
Butch
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Well hey, that was easy. Thanks!
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

In looking at HOK's spec sheet for their Neon Pink paint, it says that it's UV sensitive. I assume that's why all so many SK's fade? Is there any way to prevent that if I'm painting a new axe using the HOK color? Seems silly to use a paint I know won't retain it's color. Not that I'll be playing at the beach much...
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 02:01 PM

Well as long as you're not using it on a UV........Haaaaahahahaaawoohoo!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

I can't believe you actually posted that.... Thought it yes - actually posted it? Terrible!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 09:09 AM

The Neon paints that I have used always have carried that UV warning. I had an 88' SK that hadn't faded at all when I got rid of it in 94'. I used to take that thing out in the sun all the time

I used to use auto wax on it, back then because I worked at a Detailing Shop and it was free. Not sure if that helped it or what. Best of luck.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 09:37 PM

I think i have a brilliant idea to prevent neon colors from fading....a rather obvious one that is.......USE SUN BLOCK!!!!! all over the guitar, make you sure you don't use too much 'cause then it'll cover up the finish and be pointless. If you judge correctly, you should have a protective layer of sunblock that'll protect your guitar from harmful UV rays!!!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 11:02 PM

Just a safety note, the HOK paints are automotive urethanes, they are isocyanides and absolutely MUST be sprayed in a proper booth with proper respirators and paint suits. The HOK neon concentrates have to mix with HOK or another 2 pack urethane clear.
This is not paint to mess around with, it is incredibly toxic. It is also quite expensive and the neons are not easy to spray, specifically pink, it has the worst coverage of all the neon's.
Just my $.02
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Well, that explains what happened to my short term memory.

Well, that explains what happened to my short term memory.

Well, that explains - wait... what's the topic?

Hey, has anyone used HOK neon pink?

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 12:59 PM

LOL,
yes, I have used it, in fact I have a quart of it in my shop as we speak, along with a quart of LNG. Like I said though, you have to mix it with clear, it's very difficult to spray evenly and it's deadly.

There is a neon pink from Createx that matches perfectly too and it's water based, but you still have to clear coat it with something.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Maybe I'll go the Createx route. Clearing shouldn't be a problem - I've done that before, at least. Thanks for the tip. I'm all for using stuff that won't kill me or make my buy more safety gear.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegreenman
LOL,
yes, I have used it, in fact I have a quart of it in my shop as we speak, along with a quart of LNG. Like I said though, you have to mix it with clear, it's very difficult to spray evenly and it's deadly.

There is a neon pink from Createx that matches perfectly too and it's water based, but you still have to clear coat it with something.

Hmmm... That quart of LNG paint wouldn't happen to be what's going to be used for ...uh... a certain Jemsite Forum member's guitar..., would it?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Regarding the Createx paint, will it take a "conventional" polyurethane clear and have enough adhesion to the guitar not to cause problems down the line? From the info on the website, it looks like it's more of a water-base fabric/craft paint than something that would hold up well on a guitar.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Nevermind. I was looking at the www.createx.com site. What I was really looking for was www.autoaircolors.com. Looks like just the trick! Heh.

Tags
clear coat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode