Should I mod my wizard III neck? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Question Should I mod my wizard III neck?

Hi guys,

I love my RG370AHMZ and have invested heavily changing pickups and electronics. However, I just can't get used to the D (U?) shaped neck of Wizard III.

Interestingly, neck dimensions are identical to my favorite guitars, except those are C shaped.

While I am no luthier, it looks like I can use my other guitars as template, and simply sand down shoulders of the neck to get the desired shape, don't even need to touch the top to make sure I don't sand down to the trust rod.

Should I do it, and what are the risks?

Edit: Attached is a rough measurement I made on the 3rd fret: Red is the Wizard III profile, black is how much material I need to remove to get to a more "round" shape of my '96 Washburn (It's about 1.5mm to sand down)

Thanks!
Zac
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200621_211506_c.jpg (149.1 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Zacz; 06-21-2020 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Added neck profile diagram
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 02:28 AM

If it is an unpainted neck, then I would say it's a super easy job.

You would have to refinish it in something like tung oil or truoil.

It takes about a week to do right though.

It's a slow drying layer by layer kind of build up, but it will feel Alot better then the poly finish the rg300s tend to come with.

I would say it's not that big of a risk, just try and not work the center line down the middle or the area around the 1st and second fret too much.

Those areas need some extra meat to protect the truss rod, and the headstock.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Re: Should I mod my wizard III neck?

Exactly my thinking - neck is unpainted, and only shoulders need to be cut down a bit. Should be an easy job. I will probably just use different grit sand paper to slowly shape it to what I need, may even experiment with asymmetric shape along the way.
What worries me is that I can find no example of people doing this.
Really hoping someone on the forum can share a similar experience... otherwise I will just go for it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200306_110818.jpg (217.4 KB, 7 views)
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 01:06 PM

Beautiful finish on that guitar.
I was never lucky enough to run into a lefty of that model.

Anyway, there are not many people who post here nowdays it seems, but if you look up videos of people on YouTube refinishing their necks it's the same thing.

They sand it up first to remove the poly finish, then they tung oil it.

In your case you will just spend a bit more time on the sanding bit.

When I was in highschool I took one of my Ibanez neck and sanded the back a bit thinner after hearing that prestige wizard necks were a thin D compared to the indo wizard necks fat D.

I didn't have issues with it, and it didn't take too much material off before the neck felt better.

Tags
ibanez rg , wizard iii

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode