Should I swirl my P4? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Should I swirl my P4?

Ok, been wanting to get Darren something to swirl for a long time now, but I want to make sure it is a guitar that sounds worth the effort so buying a new body sort of makes me nervous. My JPM P4 is a fantastic sounding guitar and I love the neck. I don't really mind the camo paint job but the matte finish is really delicate and makes me feel funny everytime I pick it up. I'd love to have a DNA swirl on something and the way that guitar sounds and the feel of the neck, everything is just perfect...I'm thinking the swirl would just be icing on the cake, it would look killer and it would be more durable. I just really don't want to waste a $500 swirl on a new body that may not sound as good. But at the same time I'd be wrecking a JPM...I'm a little torn so I turn to you fine folks for some advice.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 08:56 PM
EKG

I say leave the P4 as is
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 05:28 AM

Leave the p4 alone dude, Not a fan but why don't you get Eddie to make you a body ? I'm sure he could do a JPM body for you that is as good as the current one, Then you can just swap over all the gubbins ... Then if you ever come to sell, you have the original body and will be able to keep the swirled body or sell it for extra profit !!!

Rob
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 07:50 AM

I considered having Jeremy do a flame veneer on my P4, but even he almost discouraged me, and suggested a new body. I know what you mean...love that JPM, but that matte camo is a shame. Ended up selling mine and settleing for my 90th.
Greg
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 08:20 AM

swirl it dude!
that's my vote, i don't like camo paintjobs though...

don't worry about wrecking the jpm, think of it as buying your girlfriend some new clothes (the swirl is some sexy silk thing, the camo is a rainjacket)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 11:15 AM

there aint that many JPMs, why not sell it as is and get a full blown custom? let someone else enjoy the P4 for what it is

edit: besides, thick clearcoat is quite likely to change the sound...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 12:57 PM

Reviews: 1
Tough call...
My opinion is, if you don't like the finish, scrape it then.
You found a guitar that has the vibe, just not pretty to look at.
Why not refin it?
My only concern would be that the finish plays a part in the timbre of the guitar. Aside from that, the P4's are common enough that if you don't like that you trashed it, you could buy another. Not to mention, as has been mentioned, they are the ugly ducklings of the JP series.

I also see the merit in preserving the original body and making a replacement to be swirled. EKG does great work, I'd have him make a basswood copy to be swirled, worst case scenario, you can sell off the body after it is swirled.

Up to you and your perception of the nostalgia associated with the JPM guitars.

(Yeah, kind of an ambivalent reply I guess, but I can see either side)
Bamm
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammbamm
Tough call...
My opinion is, if you don't like the finish, scrape it then.
You found a guitar that has the vibe, just not pretty to look at.
Why not refin it?
My only concern would be that the finish plays a part in the timbre of the guitar. Aside from that, the P4's are common enough that if you don't like that you trashed it, you could buy another. Not to mention, as has been mentioned, they are the ugly ducklings of the JP series.

I also see the merit in preserving the original body and making a replacement to be swirled. EKG does great work, I'd have him make a basswood copy to be swirled, worst case scenario, you can sell off the body after it is swirled.

Up to you and your perception of the nostalgia associated with the JPM guitars.

(Yeah, kind of an ambivalent reply I guess, but I can see either side)
Bamm
Bamm, Not like you to sit on the fence , But i think we agree ... Get a swirled replacement body .. If it does'nt do anything for you, Sell it (probably wont lose much) and the JPM and get a full custom

Regards

Rob

p.s. I'd still get a replacement body swirled rather than the original
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 09:47 PM

Just do a custom body and swirl it!
Keep the original P4 body. You 'll need it later!
Cheers,
TubarãoGuitars
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 12:07 AM

thing is if it was me, along with the other stuff i want to get, if i wanted to swirl a guitar i already own, and get it swirled by darren,
i wouldn't like to spare an extra $250US to get a new body to swirl just so i can keep the body with the finish i don't like in the corner.....

as you can tell, i really couldn't care less about 'guitar nostalgia'
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 09:20 AM

Comes down to this.

Can you see yourself ever selling that guitar? Or will you always keep it as your guitar?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 10:17 AM

God no! Keep it man! I love the P4 and actually think its the best out of the 4. Althought I am a fan of matte finishes and camo-ish paintjobs.
I say keep it as is......do it on another body if you really have to!
Gary - The.Godfather

Tags
dna swirl , sounding guitar , swirled body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode