A smarter kill switch - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

A smarter kill switch

A smarter kill switch

This looks good, certainly more aesthetically pleasing than a toggle switch !

The Shadow Kill Pot SH124.

.shadow-electronics.com/viewpro.html?lang_id=&id=266

Sorry I am still crippled on this forum and cannot post links yet. Just add “www”.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 03:53 AM

Re: A smarter kill switch

22 Euro!? Thats a bit expensive since a momentary switch is about a dollar.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 04:28 AM

I've ordered one - I'll let you know if it's any good once it arrives.

Hopefully be able to get some full on Buckethead action going...
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 01:06 PM

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 03:27 PM

Yeah, I just went to Radio Shack and got a momentary switch. It's basically just a little red button. I'll post pics later
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicahC View Post
Yeah, I just went to Radio Shack and got a momentary switch. It's basically just a little red button. I'll post pics later
To be fair, I did this at first and it lasted about a week before starting to crackle and not kill the output reliably.

Hopefully the Shadow will be a bit better. Not sure what Buckethead Himself uses tho.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickbean View Post
I've ordered one - I'll let you know if it's any good once it arrives.
Wow you’re keen !!

I was simply in the “contemplation” stage and you have jumped ahead !!

I will look forward to your review ! I prefer real players reviews over sales talk.

Thanks.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
To be fair, I did this at first and it lasted about a week before starting to crackle and not kill the output reliably.
Hmm, well I can say that my situation is different. I did the killswitch mod about a month ago and it still works like the first day. Maybe you did something wrong? I dunno.

Here's my pic. yeah, the button is a little lopsided, but I didn't see it until after I screwed in the pickguard and I didn't really wanna undo it all again And yeah, I got bored and took a couple Sharpie markers to it.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 03:35 PM

I've destroyed countless toggle switches on my Les Paul over the years doing my Ace Frehley, in fact that is why I learned to solder. I went through so many! I'll definatly check one of these out. I don't want an added hole in my guitar, nor do I have another chamber in my paul to put one, so this is perfect. Anyone know if you would have to put one of these pots in both signal paths of the pickups? The Les Paul has separate volume controls, so I assume you would need to put one in both spots. Although I would only use it on the bridge pickup, so I guess I answer my own question. Put it there! LOL
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 04:50 PM

What's wrong with a normal momentary switch wired to short out the pups? This sounds a bit silly to me.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indeedido View Post
I've destroyed countless toggle switches on my Les Paul over the years doing my Ace Frehley, in fact that is why I learned to solder. I went through so many! I'll definatly check one of these out. I don't want an added hole in my guitar, nor do I have another chamber in my paul to put one, so this is perfect. Anyone know if you would have to put one of these pots in both signal paths of the pickups? The Les Paul has separate volume controls, so I assume you would need to put one in both spots. Although I would only use it on the bridge pickup, so I guess I answer my own question. Put it there! LOL
I'm guessing its similar to a push/pull pot in that the killswitch part is separate from the pot itself, so it cuts the signal between the pots and the output jack, so it would work on both pickups. I dont know for sure though.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins345669 View Post
What's wrong with a normal momentary switch wired to short out the pups? This sounds a bit silly to me.

This would require either drilling a hole in your guitar or removing a pot.

Hence the need for this.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
This would require either drilling a hole in your guitar or removing a pot.

Hence the need for this.
I can see reason behind it, but it still seems excessive. I just replaced one of my tone pots with a two way switch and wired the other tone pot for for pups, for the price of a single switch.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 04:32 PM

Reviews: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins345669 View Post
I can see reason behind it, but it still seems excessive. I just replaced one of my tone pots with a two way switch and wired the other tone pot for for pups, for the price of a single switch.
I went a similar route :

I never used the 2 tone controls independently and I only used the volumes independently for killswitch sounds, so it made sense when fitting the EMGs to wire it up for master volume/tone and stick a killswitch into one of the holes. I also moved the pickup selector as I got bored of hitting it by accident when getting carried away on chords.

At some point I might wire up another killswitch button in the old pickup selector position.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 07:00 PM

2 kills? The fun you could have with that...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in