Some questions regarding Truss Rod - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Some questions regarding Truss Rod

I took it upon myself to print the entire tech section of Rich Harris's website and im currently doing a truss rod adjustment. I just want to make sure im reading this right before I do anything stupid and realise i understood what I read incorrectly.

So, according to Rich. I should loosen my truss rod completely and than play with it a bit to basically get a feel and grasp the whole concept of how it works. Great idea, but sadly my guitar is a J Custom and I wish I had a cheap guitar to try this on first :-). So, is that correct. Can I adjust the trust rod completely like that without letting it sit and relax to its new state ? I read alot on the internet about 1/4 turn and leave it for a day so right now that Is what I did. However I know enough about Rich's reputation that most of what he sais in regards to maintaining, repairing, etc. should probably be taken as gospel .

So should I go ahead and tighten this trust rod to get it straightened out ? Its kind of banana'd on me slightly so im trying to straighten it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 05:26 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Some questions regarding Truss Rod

don't loosen the truss rod completely as you can cause frets to rise, etc.

just adjust in small increments to get the desired effect (tighten for backbow).
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 05:28 PM
Vendor

GIO or JC, same difference, play with the truss tension until you get a good grasp of how yours reacts.

You're supposed to check next day because wood can be slow to react and while you'll see 95% of a correction immediately it can continue to settle into the new tension for several hours, especially after large moves.

If you need to straighten it then tighten it until it's as straight as you want.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 05:31 PM
Vendor

Absolutely loosen the truss rod completely, and tighten it until the neck is in back bow, and you can watch and see how your guitar reacts to both. And never listen to anybody that says frets will pop out if you loosen a truss rod......
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Hey Rich. I made My adjustment like you said. All frets are still intact :-) . Thanks man.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 11:00 PM
site founder 0% owner

To note, you added undue stress to the fretboard and superglue holding the frets in what is aging/drying wood if you changed the concavity/convexity (relief) beyond what is necessary for good setup. You might not care but....
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 11:15 PM
Vendor

Must be the violins playing a death march for the neck that just died because it was flexed.

Any full dive to full pullup flexes his neck further than a completely loose truss rod, which on most necks will give just over .5mm in relief, to anywhere past straight.

In a case where you have a hyper stressed neck where they will literally be bananas with a loose truss at near 2mm of relief at rest on the worst, I'd sure want to know that's what I have, and loosen the bullet nut enough to get a good layer of lube under it would be the first thing I'd do. And find out how tight and much stress it needs to get back into playing relief.

You can be a child and learn this stuff over years of being afraid to turn your truss rod and making slight movements only and checking them tomorrow, or you can learn in 5 minutes with no chance you're going to damage your neck, unless you already have a bad neck. You're putting far more stress on your neck by playing the guitar, if you play it to it's trems abilities.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 08:52 AM
site founder 0% owner

Not exactly. Again there is no reason to fully loosen or*tighten except during*fret dress since the*relief is already set in ball-park range.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 11:51 AM
Vendor

Yes, exactly. Your aging drying wood neck ready to pop frets gets more stress and flex in a full trem dive to pullup that it does in any truss rod experiment from loose to backbow. And the reasons for the exercise are,

To get familiar with the neck you have where some necks will move as much with 1/8 turn as some others will with a full half turn, and

To get over their paranoia to touch their truss rods perpetuated by reading moronic posts like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
To note, you added undue stress to the fretboard and superglue holding the frets in what is aging/drying wood if you changed the concavity/convexity (relief) beyond what is necessary for good setup. You might not care but....
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 12:33 PM
site founder 0% owner

you sound paranoid!
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 12:36 PM
Vendor

Pot, meet kettle.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 12:58 PM
site founder 0% owner

sorry busy can't play along but feel free to get outside for sunlight & fresh air!
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
don't loosen the truss rod completely as you can cause frets to rise, etc.
What the...?

Luthiers and techs (myself included) have been doing this for years. It won't harm the neck, but it's really not necessary unless you're doing something like cleaning/lubing the nut, or some serious rehab on broken threads, compressed wood, etc.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

I understand its not necessary. The point I think Rich was trying to teach myself and other readers is to not be afraid of adjusting the truss rod. Good to know because up until now everytime I turned that nut Id be biting my nails and inspecting for cracks the next morning. Thanks again .
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorper View Post
I understand its not necessary. The point I think Rich was trying to teach myself and other readers is to not be afraid of adjusting the truss rod. Good to know because up until now everytime I turned that nut Id be biting my nails and inspecting for cracks the next morning. Thanks again .
Right. I was agreeing with Rich and disagreeing with jemsite.

Last edited by webmaestro; 01-17-2017 at 12:07 PM.

Tags
j custom , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode