Something is terribly wrong with my Jem 7v - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

Something is terribly wrong with my Jem 7v

Hi guys I am new here, Hope I can get some help with my problem,

I am horrified with this, I just bought a used 2008 Jem.
Well I went to change the strings a few hours ago for the first time,And when I had them all loosened I noticed the bridge was pulled flat down to the body in the cavity. And the action is pure flat, Every note is dead.

Well, I then just restrung the same strings without even taking them off. And loosened the springs a few turns and the bridge is somewhat floating again but the action is still dead flat. Not one note works.

I live in a small town, The only shop here is run by an older man and he only fixes acoustics so I am going to have to work on this by my self. If you guys could give some advice that would be great. This is my first Jem so I don't have a fountain of knowledge on these type of tremolos. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 04:19 AM

Re: Something is terribly wrong with my Jem 7v

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

[quote=TheFreak777;1123241]

Wow good stuff on there thanks, Haven't seen that site before. Much better than what came in my manual. Going to spend some time and see if I can fix it by following those guides
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 04:39 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

[QUOTE=TTB1991;1123242]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFreak777 View Post

Wow good stuff on there thanks, Haven't seen that site before. Much better than what came in my manual. Going to spend some time and see if I can fix it by following those guides
Besides the links at the top of each page, there's a handy-dandy search feature up there, too. Just type in stuff like "trem setup" "trem problem" etc. This kind of question gets asked and answered quite a bit.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 07:16 AM

Reviews: 1

I live in Northern Michigan, I can help you no problem, I can have it set up and ready to rock in under an hour, and here is the best part, FREE OF CHARGE brother.
I set most of the trems for the used shops in town, I sware its a lost art, WTF how can you live with out a trem, LOL?
I will pm you my information, in case you cant get it set up via the directions above.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 08:36 AM

Reviews: 21

I made this ages ago to help people in your situation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHzlvIxlEV0

There is a part 2 as well... hopefully helpful to see it in action?

P
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 02:41 PM

ah i remember getting used to floyds damn took some time, seems easy now but yep i remember those times :0)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 01:45 AM

Reviews: 11

Yeah, me too.. First time I bought floyded guitar (crappy lic floyd) I spent about 4 hours trying to get the guitar working on the first change of strings.. Then we had no internet and I lived in a small village, nearest guitarshop or luthier about 100 kilometers away. Oh well, I have definitely learned something after it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode