Sperzel locking tuners - how to use them? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Sperzel locking tuners - how to use them?

Hey! I got a set of sperzerl locking tuners and have some doubts about how to use them:
1-how much string to cut?
2-how tight must the locks be?
3-my guitar has an angled headstock, and they come with 'staggered height' ie you don't need a string tree on a strat. does this have any effect?
4-can you get a set with equal height (i know some guitars come with them but i have not found a 6 in line replacement set)
thanks a lot in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 03:58 AM

Sperzel locking tuners

I have locking Sperzels on my Parker Fly. I love them.

To install strings:

1) Loosen the locking knob on the back of the tuner
2) Line up the string hole so it is parallel with the neck
3) Install the string at the bridge end first then pull the string through the post and pull it tight
4) Lock down the locking knob
5) Cut the string off at the post. You don't need any wraps around the post. That is why these tuners stay in tune better.

I haven't seen non-staggered versions of these tuners for sale. However, if your neck is angled AND you use the staggered tuners you should be fine. Not having the string tree will improve tuning stability.

Rick
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

Sperzel locking tuners

thanks man! should i put the highest on the low or high e? (the highest is just like the ones i have now)
thanks.
congrats on your fly, cool guitar!!
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 03:22 PM

Sperzel locking tuners

I also have a couple of questions:

1) *How much is a 6 in-line set? *
2) *How good are these for alternate tunings (i.e. switching tunings a lot)?
3) *How stable do they keep the tuning (i.e. Locking Nut-ish or better/worse)?
4) *How hard are they to install on a Squire Strat?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Sperzel locking tuners

i really don't know how much these cost, mine were a gift , check stewmac.com or warmoth.com. you should have no problem changing tunings because of the tuners, but i find that the strings get 'used' to a tuning and dont response very well to alternating (that's a really subjective opinion btw).
installing is really easy: they don't have a screw, but a a single pin that prevents rotation, since the pressure that holds it to the headstock comes from the hex in front of it. a lot of newer guitars have this system, an if they dont, all it takes is a little drilling, which doesn't have to be perfect since the tuner covers the hole.
if your guitar has the old screw system, the only problem would be the ugly holes left.
if you use the trem a lot, they don't do as good as a locking system, but with subtle or no bar use (like me) they're great
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 05:09 PM

Sperzel locking tuners

Thanx! *That's exactly what I needed to know. *Mine's got the hex system, so no trouble there.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 03:09 AM

Sperzel locking tuners

I consider myself quite knowledgeable regarding Sperzels....considering 3 of my 5 guitars have them.

*You only need the strings to be just a bit longer than the post. No extra winding needed. Pull the string through.....tighten the knob down and cut the excess string off. Tune to pitch.....stretch them......retune. Viola.....

As far as 6 inline sets.....they do make them. Check Musicians Friend. Pricing is right around $50 for a set of either the 6 inline set or 3+3 style set.

They are easy to install and quite a good invention. I have them on my Parker, Carvin, *and installed them on a Gibson Les Paul. *I am thinking of buying some and replacing the stock locking tuners on my PRS with Sperzels....because Sperzels work better IMO. *I may even think about putting them on my Universe, but I doubt it. Too much work! lol

Hope that helps.....
A.J.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Sperzel locking tuners

thanks aj! but what i meant by 6 in line is 6 in line with equal height, for an angled headstock. My set is 6 in line but is staggered. I installed them and they work fine, just doesn't look quite right.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 12:09 AM

Sperzel locking tuners

Oh ok! Usually the 6 inline(staggered) are meant for guitars without a angled headstock, but obviously they work fine!

Good to see people opening up to them.....they are awesome tuners! I swear by them! I love my Universe....but definitely prefer locking tuners to locking nuts myself.

Good luck!
A.J.

Tags
alternate tuning , alternate tunings , gibson les paul , les paul , locking nut , locking nuts , locking tuners , parker fly , squire strat , string tree

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode