Sperzel locking tuners & non-locking nut - for a fixed bridg - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Sperzel locking tuners & non-locking nut - for a fixed bridg

I am finalizing my second and final 'custom' axe. GC Custom neck with std JEM/RG body. It will be a fixed bridge guitar. The neck is already slotted for a locking nut.

1. Can anyone recommend a nut to use in this application

2. I am considering using Sperzel or other upgraded tuners, even for the fixed bridge axe. Some sperzel discussion is in the old forum (links below). Can anyone comment?

I am concerned about their INLINE tuners are staggered height. I was planning on using the string tree for simplicity. Ideas welcome.

http://jemsiteforum.com/discus/messages/34/2463.html
http://jemsiteforum.com/discus/messages/34/2574.html

thanks... glen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 08:26 PM

Sperzel locking tuners & non-locking nut

I could be wrong, but i don't think ALL Sperzel inline tuners have the staggered posts... i'm pretty sure all the posts on my Parker are the same height, given that it's got a tilt-back headstock. I haven't been successful in finding a Sperzel Web site with specs on their full line, unfortunately. So you just have to take whatever info you can get from those that sell 'em.

You might also consider the LSR gearless tuners. They're the same ones used on some of Jackson's custom shop guitars, and they look really incredible.

You could combine them with an LSR roller nut and have a nice combo. This nut has special installation instructions, so you might want to have it installed professionally.

Or maybe try one of those Earvana compensated nuts?

Have you got pics of the work-in-progress? Your GC Custom is quite nice... i'd love to see what your next project turns out like.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Thanks for the links

The neck is exactly the same as the one on he GC Custom made by Harper. This is probably my favorite neck profile.

It was to be a 777 converted AANJ neck but that is a long story. This one should be even better. I'm looking at an oiled mahogany body, but i'm open for suggestions. I just want no paint or clearcoat. Chrome hardware to match the abalone inlays, string-thru fixed-bridge, AANJ, a USA-Custom body will be cloned w/ angled input (ie JEM minus the no monkey grip or lion's claw). 2-1-2 pickups of course w/ coil tap and possibly more switches & buttons :biggrin: ...glen
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 01:19 AM

Oiled mahogany should be nice... especially on a fixed-bridge guitar. Mahogany tends to be a bit plain-looking, though, but i know you're not a big wood grain fan. I really like the sound of black walnut on a body. And it feels SO sweet oiled. Smells nice, too.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 08:23 AM

http://www.schaller-guitarparts.de/1000.htm

here you can find info about schaller locking tuners. I think they are almost similar to sperzel locking tuners.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 09:16 PM

At first I was going to suggest simply putting a locking nut on it anyway, as the neck is already cut for it, but then remembered the absence of fine tuners on a fixed bridge. Is there any such thing as a fixed with tuners?

Probably a stupid question… I know.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 09:51 PM

Schaller and Badass have both made fixed bridges with fine tuners, but they're Tune-O-Matic types rather than "Strat" types.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 11:55 PM

kahler makes one a fixed bridge w/ tuners also. *it was featured on both dave mustaine and marty friedman's signature jacksons, which were discontinued for this year. * it looked just like the kahler pro trem, but no place for a bar! * i never really understood why, b/c the nuts were non-locking. * and dave mustaine's had lsr tuners! (marty's may also have) * * * crazy...

i was just thinking, how would it work to have a floyd type bridge, with a normal nut and locking tuners in place of the locking nut? *
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2001, 12:52 AM

Quote:
i was just thinking, how would it work to have a floyd type bridge, with a normal nut and locking tuners in place of the locking nut? *
That's the way it seems Carvin does their 7-strings.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 11:51 PM

Reviews: 2

Well I've got tulip head Sperzel tuners on 4 of my guitars an I think their great. *Definately the top choice for me. Plus they come in brushed finish too like the BSB

You could go with a wilkanson trem and get the acoustic thang too even just screw it down tight so it's fixed.

Are you going rear rout or scratchplate?

Tags
aanj neck , abalone inlays , chrome hardware , coil tap , custom shop , custom shop guitar , dave mustaine , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , locking nut , locking tuners , mahogany body , marty friedman , monkey grip , schaller locking , schaller locking tuners , sperzel locking , sperzel locking tuners , sperzel tuners , string tree

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode