Spring noise... - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Spring noise...

I have an RG470 with the stock tremolo.

I notice that sometimes I am getting some noise coming through the amp...a kind of resonance. I think it is tremolo spring noise.

I searched a bit, and found a picture where someone had placed some sort of batting under the tremolo springs. Neither the type of batting nor technique for placement was discussed.

Anyone know how to best quiet them?

Thanks,
Bob

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 12:54 PM

Re: Spring noise...

http://www.vai.com/Machines/guitars1.html then click on the EVO mini-gallery. Steve stuffs the back with padding

I've also tried this and it really works...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 12:56 PM

I have been using cotton wool on mine for a really long time with very good results. However I've found that it kills off a fair amount of flutter on my trem.

Another point is that I've found this whole spring noise to be evident only on certain guitars...funny. My friend has a couple of stratocasters, the one with the crazy reverbating spring noise was a relic strat.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 01:27 PM

I wrap the base of mine with electrical tape. It totally kills the ring dead, and doesnt affect flutter at all.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 01:52 PM

Reviews: 6

I'm lucky enough to not have any spring noise on my jem, and hopefully it'll stay that way!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Wow, thanks.

I was concerned that batting/cotton/tissue paper would get trapped in the springs, therefore goofing up the tuning.

"I wrap the base of mine with electrical tape. It totally kills the ring dead, and doesnt affect flutter at all."

What "base" do you wrap, the base of the tremolo (where the strings insert)?

Also...what is meant by "flutter"?

Bob
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 04:58 PM

I mean the base of the spring, which to me is down by where it attatches to the claw. (where the circle part attatches to the hooky part screwed into the body.) One wrap around of electrical tape, not too tight, is all you need.

Flutter is when you hit the bar and release so the trem vibrates back and forth several times until it equalizes tension.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Cool idea, thanks.

Bob
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 11:33 AM

a block of sponge under the springs will do
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 11:46 AM

I got some sponge and pushed under the springs ...works great..
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 05:02 PM
m0p

Do a "Vai" and fill the spring cav. with tissue paper. I had spring noise on an old ESP of mine (which is gone now). Tissue paper worked like a charm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode