"Squeals"/"Feedback"/"Harmonic" sound on upper frets on High E only - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

"Squeals"/"Feedback"/"Harmonic" sound on upper frets on High E only

Hey folks,
So a couple months ago I bought an Ibanez RGIR20E-BK (everything original on it, no mods) from a friend of mine and there's this weird problem that doesn't seem to have any answer (Looked on several forums for similar problems but didn't find any solution whatsoever.)
There's this weird squeal/feedback/harmonic/whatever you wanna call it that happens on the 17-24 fret, on the High E string only. I brought it to a shop twice to repair it and they don't have a clue on what it could be.
I swapped the high E and B saddles, didn't work. Went from a .09 to a .11 to a .10, it was slightly weaker with the .11, but it was still there. I would post a Dropbox link here or in the comments but it won't let me, oh well.
Any clues on what this could be? It's an amazing piece of gear, it'd be a shame if there isn't anything to do with it.
Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 04:15 AM

Does the harmonic pitch change as you move up the frets? Does it do it at the last fret or just the ones before it? Are all the pickups far away enough from the string when it's fretted at the last fret? Is there enough neck relief? What is the action at the 12th fret?
Let's try and narrow it down a bit.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

First thing first, it didn't do it acousticly but yesterday I paid closer attention and it does the sound without plugging it in. That might be a clue to what it might be. The pitch goes with the note, it sounds an octave higher than the actual note. As for the neck relief, the neck itself is straight and it hasn't changed since it went to the shop. For the action, no matter how low or high it is, it'll still happen but some frets will have that weird sound to vary in volume but they're still there no matter what. I don't have any tools to read the action unfortunately.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 05:08 PM

You have a fret probably 20 or above, that is just high high enough to make a pinch harmonic. Sometimes you may notice an accidental pinch harmonic when picking. Same principle only a fret is doing it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

It'd be odd considering the guys at shop looked at the frets and they were all leveled (none of them were too low/high). They did mention it might be a problem with the bridge itself, which I'll try swapping with a Floyd Rose knockoff and if that works then we know that's it. But then again, considering I swapped saddles it's be strange if it did.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode