Stacked/Noise Cancelling PUP in Middle on RG550? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Stacked/Noise Cancelling PUP in Middle on RG550?

Hi Guys,

I decided to order some new pickups for my Genesis RG550. This guitar will be used almost exclusively for classic metal covers (Dio, Ozzy, Scorpions, etc). I went with a PAF 36th in the neck and a Super Distortion in the bridge. For the middle however, I went with a Chopper. I was going to go with a True Velvet but decided for this guitar I did not care at all about having any 2nd/4th position "quack" (I have a strat for that). I was thinking that on this guitar I'd rather have another humbucker-like pup in the middle for some more high gain options.

I realize with standard wiring (unless I get a push/pull or a toggle) that in positions 2/4 I'll have 2 humbuckers on at once (As the Chopper is a stacked single coil/noise cancelling). I am wondering if I made a mistake by ordering the Chopper instead of a true single coil? I have never played a guitar setup this way. In my desire to make this guitar a fire breathing dragon, it sounded good in the moment. Does anyone have any experience with a single coil-sized humbucker in the middle on their RG? Will I be able to get good usable tones (I know this is subjective) with this configuration in positions 2/3/4? I'm curious to hear from anyone who has a similar setup. Thanks!

Last edited by Pixel_Jockey; 04-09-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:23 PM

Re: Stacked/Noise Cancelling PUP in Middle on RG550?

it should be fine. Back a number of years ago dimarzio made the multibucker which consisted of a fast track and chopper put together to make one humbucker sized pickup.

I had one at one point and it was pretty cool.

it isn't uncommon to have the setup you are going to have. You can still split the stacked single coil to have a true single coil. having a stacked single coil gives you more flexibility in the end. You can use either "coil" if you want a true single coil. you can wire the stacked in parallel to cut a little power and brighten it up. You can reverse the polarity to get in phase or out of phase in position 2 or 4.

Anyway, my point is you should be fine assuming you like the tone of the pickup.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Re: Stacked/Noise Cancelling PUP in Middle on RG550?

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge View Post
it should be fine. Back a number of years ago dimarzio made the multibucker which consisted of a fast track and chopper put together to make one humbucker sized pickup.

I had one at one point and it was pretty cool.

it isn't uncommon to have the setup you are going to have. You can still split the stacked single coil to have a true single coil. having a stacked single coil gives you more flexibility in the end. You can use either "coil" if you want a true single coil. you can wire the stacked in parallel to cut a little power and brighten it up. You can reverse the polarity to get in phase or out of phase in position 2 or 4.

Anyway, my point is you should be fine assuming you like the tone of the pickup.

Thanks for the reply. I just wanted to make sure I didn't do something stupid. I'm gong to have it wired for full humbuckers in each position. If I need to get stratty I have guitars for that. Thanks again!

Tags
rg middle pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode