staining experts needed, all helpful tips welcome : ) - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

Smile staining experts needed, all helpful tips welcome : )

Well about a week ago, i purchased a stock black JS100 of e.b.a.y. and i want to do something to it to make it stand out. i really like the way my rga 121 looks, and i want to make my JS100 look like that. the problem is, im poor, and i dont want to pay someone else to do what i can do. BUT i dont want to mess up my guitar, so i need some tips from you guys.

first off, any and all helpful info will help me, pls dont flame me, im learning just like all of you, and you were in my shoes once, remember that. : )

How do i go about removing the old paint? should i use chemical paint stripper? if so, what kind should i purchase?

then, what kind of wood stain do i buy?, i want to do my guitar like this rgt http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ulpics102a.jpg

What are all the materials i need to buy before this project?

sorry if this came up in other threads, i have trouble with the search function at home, my internet is vary slow...

plz if someone could give me a step by step on how to remove the old paint, and then stain the guitar, i would be vary thankful.

thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 03:43 AM

Re: staining experts needed, all helpful tips welcome : )

Chemical stripper is best, but messy. You will have to do 2-3 applications to remove both the paint and the sealer. Buy "aircraft" stripper at your local auto parts store.

I take a box that the body will fit into and cut it down until the sides are about 2" above the guitar body. Line the box with tin foil and place the body inside. Cover the body with a healthy amount of stripper, and then cover the top of the box with more foil. Now leave it alone for several hours (overnight is good).

WEAR GLOVES as stripper burns the skin. Remove body and wash down with mineral spirits and soft bristle brush. Let it dry or blow off with compressed air.

At this point, most if not all the paint will be removed, but you still have the sealer to remove. The sealer is far tougher than the paint, so repeat the above as necessary to get down to bare wood.

Once all the paint and sealer are completely removed, sand the body with 220 grit paper, then sand it again with 320. Take your time at this point, as the more work here, the better the finish.

You will want to pay special attention to sanding scratches. They will jump out once the body has been stained, and you will have to go back and sand them out.

Now you have to decide on your final finish. I assume the body is basswood, so something simple like pre-stain conditioner will work fine.

I find that gel stains are easier to apply, and you get better results. You can find both conditioner and gel stain at your local home center.

Once you stain it, and are happy with the results, you will want to finish off the guitar with your choice of clear. I suggest something like Tru Oil (gunstock oil) for an easy to apply and hard to screw up finish. Use minimal coats for a more natural feel, or lay it and polish it out for a nice shine.

That is the short version of what all is involved in getting a decent finish. Not only will it require time and some patience, but you could still not end up with the exact look you want.

Something else to think about before deciding if this is for you. You may not like the wood you find under the factory paint. Bodies destined for paint are not always as nice as ones selected for stain.

Google refinishing you guitar and you will find years worth of information that will help you.

Good luck!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Re: staining experts needed, all helpful tips welcome : )

thank you vary much for the info, more tips are welcome!

Tags
js100 , staining help , stripping

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode