Standard DL Tremolo replacement - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Standard DL Tremolo replacement

Hello, new owner of a rga series and the ibanez standard DL tremolo in my 42mfmt has alot of slop in the finetuners. I would like to replace it with a edge 2 or 3, will this work ?
Thank you for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Here is a pic of what I would like to get. I like the low pro look and feel. from what I remember on the floyd rose low pro a deeper router is required. Is this the case with the edge 3? I would prefer to replace with a ibanez brand tremolo instead of a ping. Schaller or other brands.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Edge_III_1581644866485.jpg (24.7 KB, 11 views)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 03:56 AM

Re: Standard DL Tremolo replacement

I replaced standard DL with Schaller lockmeister. You have to look for proper nut size and block size. I took longer block deliberately for bigger sound. Lockmeister is great, neverending sustain and flutter.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 08:09 AM

From what I remember reading on here the edge 2 and 3 are not very good trem systems. The edge pro is great, original and lo pro are great as well.

I have a js100 that had the exact same DL bridge you have in your guitar. I wound up putting a gotoh ge1996t in it. You can find them in chrome on eBay for around $130 USD. They vary in price a bit depending on finish.

Gotoh makes the edge trems, and this thing is excellent. It's a drop in replacement if you use 10 gauge strings. If you use 9's, the Allen keys that crimp the string in place will have to sit further back to intonate properly and will hit the body instead of pass into the cavity.

Here's a pic

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1E0z...w?usp=drivesdk
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:38 PM

I would like to know more options as well. I have the RGAR42mfmt as well. Would a Gotoh Locking Tremolo fit?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryder91 View Post
I would like to know more options as well. I have the RGAR42mfmt as well. Would a Gotoh Locking Tremolo fit?
It should fit perfectly. Here's a picture of a late 90's RG I used to own that I put a gotoh in. It had the same bridge your RG has. All you need to do is make sure you buy one with the 37mm block.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12Uh...w?usp=drivesdk
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsXLine6 View Post
It should fit perfectly. Here's a picture of a late 90's RG I used to own that I put a gotoh in. It had the same bridge your RG has. All you need to do is make sure you buy one with the 37mm block.
Ok great, thanks. So did the "Standard DL tremolos" that come on my guitar go under a different name in the 90's?

Last edited by ryder91; Yesterday at 10:22 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:22 PM

The 90's and I believe the early 2000's as well. Then they started to come out with the edge 2,3 zero... And zero II ect.

When you put in the new gotoh you have to reuse your posts. The gotoh ones are larger in diameter and will not fit. Also the gotoh does not come with a new locking nut. It has a new claw and springs.

Also! The coolest feature... The arm inserts, then spins in. Around the arm where it inserts is a collar with a nylon bushing that the arm fits into... It has a set screw... You can tighten or loosen the set screw to your preferred tightness. It's the best arm adjustment for a double locking trem hands down.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:25 PM

And to answer your question... About the name (sorry I failed to do that before) they are normally known as an Ibanez TRS-101 trem system.

Edit: After googling a bit... It seems as though the standard DL is a later/re-release of the trs101. They look identical to me.

Last edited by JsXLine6; Yesterday at 10:55 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode