Started to do my own setups ! Help! :) - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Started to do my own setups ! Help! :)

So....
After many years of playing.... I've finally decided to crack down and do my own setups instead of having them sent over to my guitar repairer as the wait on getting a guitar back is over a week sometimes, which can be quite annoying.
I've been doing a lot of reading and watching a whole lot of you tube videos on setting up various instruments.
I've managed to do my Les Paul and Tele just fine.... but now I've moved over to my Jem which I haven't touched in quite sometime.....
I believe before I would use 9's on it... now I'm moving up to 10's.

I'm having a few difficulties with the Edge lo pro..... and can't get the knife angles to be parallel to the body. When adjusting strings I either go to high after tuning to pitch or too low when tuning to pitch.

Would love to hear your help.

These are the steps in order I took so far when setting up this little beast.

- Check the neck bow by placing a capo on first fret and holding down last fret (creating a straight edge with the string) and adjusting as needed (not much was needed surprisingly)
- Check the nut by holding down 3rd fret and checking on 2nd fret.
- Adjusting action and bridge height accordingly - eliminating any buzz
- tuning to pitch (this is where it gets messy - bridge either goes too high or too low when I'm trying to adjust the spring tension)

hope you guys can assist!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 09:44 AM
Mah

Re: Started to do my own setups ! Help! :)

So...first time locking trem virgin!? It's annoying I know but You need to have a lot of patience ...then some experience and feeling with all that screws. My first times took me several hours. Think about it that You need have balance between strings and springs. Do it in small steps and watch carefully. You can lock bridge by inserting something between body and trem block and stabilize it in right position then set up to pich, next set spring tension. Do not forget strech the strings after all and make corrections. Of course You need to set intonation when You change strings size. Next time change strings one by one. With same size it's almost easy like gib or tele.
Good luck

J.

Some knowlege here: http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 09:54 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

I recommend you really think twice about 10 strings. At this point it's already done tighten the claw down and get it tuned/level.

But the amount of claw spring counter-tension you need is significant and the trem becomes much stiffer. Post if you go back to 9s shortly.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 05:05 AM
Mah

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
I recommend you really think twice about 10 strings. At this point it's already done tighten the claw down and get it tuned/level.

But the amount of claw spring counter-tension you need is significant and the trem becomes much stiffer. Post if you go back to 9s shortly.
I forgot about it. With 10's sometimes You need more springs or stiffer springs. Depends on the type and manufacturer of strings.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 07:37 AM

To get the bridge straight you need to adjust the spring tension. Here's the easiest way to do it IMO
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 06:36 AM

Well done on doing your own setups. I decided this years ago as guitar techs charge inordinate amounts of money to do what is essentially a very simple job... guitars aren't complex machines, they are lumps of wood and metal that need a bit of adjusting and tweaking. Plus DIY is fun!

Double-lockings take a bit of getting used to, however I first learned by following the guide on Ibanez Rules (thanks Rich, if you're still around here), it's not as complex or as difficult as you think, it just takes time and patience.

I prefer sticking to 9s on double-locking systems as it causes the least hassle. Unless the guitar has already been set up for 10s or whatever and has more/stiffer springs already it can be a bit of a faff, however if you feel brave give it a go - always a good learning experience.

I experimented with many different gauges on an old strat I used to have before settling back on 9-42s. I always have played in E standard. The highest I went was 12-56 which were like piano strings, great for rhythm and lasted forever but tore my fingertips apart, as for bends and trem usage during leads forget it. I had to have 5 springs in the back for the bridge to cope. 10-46s were alright but I found the balance between the bass and treble strings a bit iffy - to me there was too much tension in the treble strings and not enough in the wounds. I went with 9-46s for a while but settled back to 42s when I first adopted double-locking systems. Have stuck with that ever since.

'87

Tags
action , jem , lo pro edge , setup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode