staying in tune after trem use - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

staying in tune after trem use

is it normal to not be at 100% exact perfect tuning after using the whammy bar, when i use the lo pro on my jem, some strings come back perfect and a couple come back like a cm off maybe less

is this normal, or should every string come back perfect?

my trem is perfectly straight with the body and everything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 08:51 PM

Re: staying in tune after trem use

Is the intonation ok? What condition are the strings in?
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

intonation is fine, and i put the strings on last week.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 10:09 PM

Did you make sure to let them all stretch for 2 days (about) before locking and fine tuning? if not, I'd unlock the nut and give them a day, then re-lock and re-tune.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 10:26 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTart
Did you make sure to let them all stretch for 2 days (about) before locking and fine tuning? if not, I'd unlock the nut and give them a day, then re-lock and re-tune.
If you go through the process of stretching the strings yourself, as opposed to letting them stretch through normal use, you can have them stretched in in about 10-15 mins, once you are comfortable with doing it.

There is absolutely no reason to wait 2 days to do it.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 10:49 PM

Not normal use - I put them on and leave the nut unlocked overnight + a few hours so the tension of the springs on the trem does it. I rather do it that way - they all seem to stretch evenly, none more than the other. Besides, its best to stay safe, once I lock the nut, I only want to have to unlock it for one purpose - restringing
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 11:33 PM

How old are the springs? I change mine every six months. Also, are the stud inserts screwed down? On my old UV, I had the lo pro and was having a similiar issue. I thought I was tightening the inserts down, but actually the allen wrench wasnt even turning the screw, it was grabbing metal inside which felt like resistence of a screw hitting wood. When I finnaly pulled the trem off and took a look at the inserts I realized they werent even moving the damn set screw. Once I had the correct allen wrench and tightend them down, it stayed in tune significantly better minus the low B which always seemed to go a little flat no matter what I did.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 12:09 AM

Now I know that if my Edge III can stay in tune perfectly with trem usage that a Lo Pro Edge should be able to do the same. I always just make sure and stretch the crap out of ALL of the strings and then I let the guitar rest for like 20 minutes, then I come back and repeat the process before locking down the neck and I never have any problems with tuning stability. It's the same on my S470DX with the ZR trem. The key is just to stretch the hell out of the strings and then you should have no tuning problems assuming your bridge is set up properly.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 12:32 AM

Yeah, stretch the strings. Just pull up on them with your hands. You'll know when to stop pulling. Letting it sit over night won't do much.

Next time you change strings, take off the tremolo, check the knife edges. You don't want them sharp as a knife but you don't want them really fat either. You might have to do a little filing.

I learned this from Rich. Before you put the trem back on, apply some ChapStick with a toothpick onto the posts where the trem meets it.

Having locking posts helps alot too.

After you've done all that, you should get a perfect return after whammy use

-Chris
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemuniverse777
How old are the springs? I change mine every six months.
I'm guessing you like a stiff set-up. I've got almost 6 years on my edge and the springs have gotten to that perfect spot for me. Fluttering with it like this is awesome. I don't have any problems getting it to return in tune though
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

the guitar still stays in tune after i use the trem guys, im jsut saying it just a smidgen off, like half a cm off on some strings, and this isn't noticble to the human hear really. im just asking if this is normal. im not saying that my guitar completely goes out of tune to the point where you can actually notice it.

i doubt any trem lets the guiutar come back 100% on the dot, perfect. im sure for a lot of you guys, if you check your guitars the strings will be a little off but it will be barely noticible to you. i mean thats why there are fine tuners there correct? because your guitar isn't expected to come back 100% EXACTLY how it was on the dot, to the nearest cm.

did i just answer my own question?
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 01:00 AM

u might wanna try what i listed above. I've gotten perfect return after normal use. Crazy steve vai use sometimes gets it off a little
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

hmm, idk since i don't seem to be hearing any out of tune strings.

i should clarify that the tuner is telling me that its a tiny tiny tiny bit off, but thats because my tuner is so precise.

i don't think it is that big of a deal.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich2k4
is it normal to not be at 100% exact perfect tuning after using the whammy bar, when i use the lo pro on my jem, some strings come back perfect and a couple come back like a cm off maybe less

is this normal, or should every string come back perfect?

my trem is perfectly straight with the body and everything
Alright I understand you now. Yes, it is normal to be a cm off or less.
But if you want your normal to be less than a cm off or less, stretch the strings, lock your posts, add ChapStick on the posts where the knife edges touch, and check or knife edges to make sure they aren't too fat!
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 03:34 AM

Are we measuring pitch in cm these days?

Tags
allen wrench , edge bridge , floyd rose , pro edge , steve vai , strat trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode