Strange problem with buzzing? Single coil? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Strange problem with buzzing? Single coil?

Hello,
after the new pups installing, I feel I have a problem with buzzing of the guitar.
It is mostly noticable 5+ frets, so the idea is to bridge, but if I remember correctly, I had it lower, so the baseplate was under visible area and action could be 1,5-2.0 mm max at 24 fret. After the bringing guitar home with pups, I noticed the buzz on low E and partially on A (which was not present before). Now I tried to have about 2.5-3 mm on 24th fret.

I raised the bridge and truss rod a bit (TR was needed for little buzz on the first frets) and the strings were buzzing on lower frets. I had an idea, it could be made by ceramic strong single coil magnet, because hole was not deep enough and pup was close to the strings. about 2mm I would say. So I dremmeled it a bit and the distance could be about 5 mm. Is this enough for single coil pup? I have read they are stronger somehow.

Another idea was to play with TR again and raise it little bit, but I thing it will not bring any benefits, only imperfect action in lower frets.

Other idea was to make neck more straight and raise the bridge even more.

Last two ideas were to change from 8s to 9s and dremmel hole for single coil more.
I am sad, because before the guitar went out for pup installation, it played perfectly, you would say the treble strings sit on the first fret, but they did not , and no buzz.

What do you think? Where is possible the problem?

Last edited by Wakizashis; 01-22-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 11:56 AM

Re: Strange problem with buzzing? Single coil?

my first thought is the strings were changed, maybe to a different brand and that has had an effect, maybe they sit lower in the nut or bridge.

could be a lot of things, the first thing i would do is raise the bridge a little and see what difference that makes, depends on what guitar you have.

did it make a difference when you did that ?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 12:38 PM

also was it shipped to be repaired ?

If it has sat overnight in cold or damp conditions that can cause backbow,
let it warm up and dry out and it should get better.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInRockFormations View Post
also was it shipped to be repaired ?

If it has sat overnight in cold or damp conditions that can cause backbow,
let it warm up and dry out and it should get better.
Hello, thanks for tip. The guitar was delivered to tech by me and has same strings as before. I just loosened them and had one spring in the back for easy trem put out. Also reinstalled it at home to be sure everything sits perfectly.

I had it at home over night at usual place for settling down. If I raise the bridge even more, it seems quite uncomfortable to me, but maybe it is just me and when I played on it without amp, I tolerated mistakes in sound. Seems strange to me though because I am very light player (if we do not count tremolo picking) and I hear that quite strong towards the bridge from 5+. Seems most noticable from 12+. So that means I should change bridge height. I had it about 1 mm lower before, so single coil height idea is what stroke me then (always had humbuckers and I quite like them deep in my guitar so they are about 5-8 mm far from strings)

Relief is about 0,3-0,4 mm when I hold 1st and 14th fret. havent seen much difference when fretted 17th 24th frets.

I do not feel happy to do new compromises when It was fine before, or I really think. At least it felt to me. When I got guitar, I did setup to her for those 8s. its 570 btw.

Do you think that 5mm single coil height is ok, or then can be some annoying magnetic influence? Strings are very light 8-38 (always wanted to try those) Thanks

Last edited by Wakizashis; 01-22-2012 at 02:01 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 02:38 PM

You are using the lightest strings known to man and you are confused as to why your guitar won't play cleanly...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikron View Post
You are using the lightest strings known to man and you are confused as to why your guitar won't play cleanly...
I thought Billy Gibbons used 7s, Tony Iommi used extremly light strings too...

Also I said, the setup before was fine to me...

The thing that bothers me is, if the mistake could be in setup due temp changes, when I was with guitar outside. Room temp cca 20°C, outside 0°C In hard case of course). It was trip four 1+1 hours in bus (to tech and back). Or if it could be issue with single coil pickup, if that 5mm distance is not enough, specially if strings are very light and they are more sensitive. Now I do not have access to dremmel tool.

Last edited by Wakizashis; 01-23-2012 at 07:25 AM.

Tags
buzz magnet single coil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode