Strange rattle open E-string RG350DXZ - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Strange rattle open E-string RG350DXZ

I have this white RG350DXZ which appears to be a 2011 Indonesian Cor-Tek model

A problem that occurs when I pluck the open low E-string - or actually fretting any note at all - is that the note will die off abormally soon and it sounds like it has some component in the guitar buzzing. Also, the volume of the attack is significantly lower than the other strings. Kind of muffled I suppose you could say.
Things I tried, all no success obviously
  • Changed the pitch of the E-string
  • Changed the string itself
  • Changed saddles
  • Shimmed the nut a bit. Admittedly I used aluminum foil but I just wanted to see if changing the nut height did something
  • Raised the action to rule out buzz as a result of string hitting frets

Should be the trem probably. But what would be some things I could try I wonder. Change springs?
Thanks for any ideas.

Last edited by thegiantslaser; 07-21-2020 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Rephrased a couple of things so its clearer and hopefully easier to read
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 09:17 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: Strange rattle open E-string RG350DXZ

Maybe you've got a fret that's a little off compared to the rest. With the age of the guitar it's probably due for a fret level/dress.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Maybe you've got a fret that's a little off compared to the rest. With the age of the guitar it's probably due for a fret level/dress.
No the frets are level except fret 24 says my fret rocker. Also, I raised action to rule out if it is fret buzz. It's not even fret buzz to begin with. Its a rattle from some component. And each note is very muffled whichever note is played. This isn't a high fret phenomenon.

Last edited by thegiantslaser; 07-22-2020 at 01:32 AM.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 01:20 PM

Even if you raise action, a backbow in the neck can never be compensated when playing.

Make sure you have an ever so slightly front bow
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 04:42 AM

Maybe to lower pickups?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 09:43 AM

Check out the trem. make sure all is tight especially the trem bar screws underneath
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

I do have a front bow as I had some neck relief every time the guitar was strung.
Pickups really are pretty low already as well

Actually in the literal sense, the issue got resolved. Being the low E stopped dying off quickly.
It was after I reset the strings in the saddles, removed the stop bar and simply fiddled around with different heights of the trem and differences in tension.
I now have a different set of trouble. Strings are "sitar-ing", but the sitar-like sound stops when I tilt back the trem manually after which the strings start to ring cleanly and properly. Which is weird because the trem is currently sitting almost exactly like the videos and manuals say, almost parallel but an ever so slight tilt forward.

One thing I am noticing is that the strings are slightly hovering above the grove that is part of the saddle. You know the groove that is supposed to guide the strings when it's coming out of the bridge into the guitar. So in effect it does make sense that the strings should be resting inside those grooves, which could also explain why the sitar-ing disappears and the notes sound really clean when I tilt the trem backwards. But I really have to tilt the trem backwards in a way that it's visibly really backwards and not how it's supposed to look. It that makes sense.

Last edited by thegiantslaser; 07-30-2020 at 04:36 AM.

Tags
buzz , rattle , rg350dxz , string

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode