Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Strap Lock Install - Check My Math

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  IBZshredder 
#1 ·
About to install Schaller Strap locks onto 2 of my guitars. I don't really use a strap all that often, but I figured that on the rare occasions which I do, it would be worth the time and money to make sure my babies are protected.

So, I've talked to a few people, and searched around here, so please, check my math, before I destroy something:

On the guitars:
1) Remove old strap hook screws.
2) Wet toothpicks with wood glue, jam in hole, fitting as many in as I can.
3) Break off ends of toothpicks, use a nail clipper to get the ends off, and flush against the body.
4) Screw in new strap lock screw while wood glue is still wet.
5) Let cure for 24 hours.

On the strap itself:
1) Install strap lock as normal, wetting the cylinder with Loc-Tite, let cure
for 24 hours.

If I am filling the existing hole to capacity, and then I jam a screw into it, I get that I'm adding strength because the toothpicks will be pressed against the existing walls. I'm worried that the added pressure could cause cracks to the finish, and that ultimately, the life of my guitar hangs on 3 toothpicks...

See less See more
#3 ·
I just use the screws that came with the guitar, you don't have to use the ones with the lock if they are smaller than the stock.
No can do, bud - the actual screw head is wider than the opening for the new strap hook - it was the first thing I looked at - I have to use the ones that came with the lock, which is a shame, cause they aren't as long as I would like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.