Strap lock screws wont keep tight. - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Fry

Strap lock screws wont keep tight.

Ok, we know that dimarzios screws that come with their straplocks are way too small. So what I did was carefully drilled out the metal spacer, and then I could use the screw that came with the guitar. The thing still won't stay tight. This is pissing me off. Any suggestions? I'm about to just glue the screw into the damn guitar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 02:42 PM

Always worth filling the hole first. I use a matchstick or 2 lightly coated in wood glue. The wood from a match is soft enough to let you drive the screw back in again without drilling.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Fry

So I just stick the matchstick it in there, and screw it in like normal?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 09:23 PM

Yup... after the wood glue dries, of course.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 10:47 PM

For the purpose of facilitating easier removal of the screw at some later date if required, I highly recommend the above (I use wooden toothpicks dipped into a good carpenter's glue) with one addition; before putting the screw in, rub the threads into some wax until there's a decent coating. When the wood glue hardens, it makes a nice tight hold on the screw; this can be SO tight that you can twist the head of the screw off when trying to remove it later. The wax prevents just enough of the bonding with the screw to allow it to be backed out again.
Trust me, I know; I have a couple of cobbled-together guitars (Strat-type bodies with Kramer necks) that both have an extra strap-button hole or two, complete with headless screws... I've seen others examples of the same problem, too...
=]
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
For the purpose of facilitating easier removal of the screw at some later date if required, I highly recommend the above (I use wooden toothpicks dipped into a good carpenter's glue) with one addition; before putting the screw in, rub the threads into some wax until there's a decent coating. When the wood glue hardens, it makes a nice tight hold on the screw; this can be SO tight that you can twist the head of the screw off when trying to remove it later. The wax prevents just enough of the bonding with the screw to allow it to be backed out again.
Trust me, I know; I have a couple of cobbled-together guitars (Strat-type bodies with Kramer necks) that both have an extra strap-button hole or two, complete with headless screws... I've seen others examples of the same problem, too...
=]
That sounds like a good idea, but are you saying that you screw it in while the glue is still wet? Bachle7 is saying to screw it after it dries, or am I just reading the posts wrong? Sorry, I just want to be sure of this, cause it's my favorite guitar.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 02:55 AM

Fry dude, i don't even bother glueing matchsticks into strapbutton holes anymore, Unless on a guitar i am selling .. Never had one fall, Split, Crack, Strip or otherwise remove itself self from hole ;-)

Rob
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 03:18 AM

I don't always bother adding the glue. It is mostly down to my laziness! You can get away with just shoving the match in there but a spot of glue on the end isn't going to do any harm where as an un glued match can eventually work its way out.

Fry, let the glue dry. Depending on what kind of glue you use you could end up permanently bonding the screw to the body. Wood glue is usually stronger than the wood itself. If the kind of glue you used also bonds to the screw you'll risk damaging the guitar body if you ever try to get it back out.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Fry

I was too lazy to go and buy some glue at the hardware store, so I just stuck the match in there. It seems to be holding well. Thanks for the input guys!

Tags
guitar body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode