Stress crack on neck joint, or just a finish crack? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
m0p

Stress crack on neck joint, or just a finish crack?

Yesterday I while fiddling around with posts on my RG550 (which I have had numerous trem problems with), I've noticed a small black line on the neck joint, which is quite small, and it branches out into a couple of other black lines. I can feel them when I run my nail over them. Are these stress cracks, or just finish cracks? I don't wanna remove the finish to find out, since this guitar means quite a bit to me, wouldn't wanna butcher up the finish. Is there any way to tell if it's a stress crack without removing the finish?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 12:47 PM

Re: Stress crack on neck joint, or just a finish crack?

I have one in my 7620 and a small very light one in my S 7420. The one in my UV is short but a darker line. It absolutely bugs me that they are there but I think they just happen or it seems. I dont know if they are harmful or if they'll get worse. Anyway, I try not to get too worried about it.

I was thinking of using some wax (buff cars with) to remove the light crack in the clear on my S 7420. Anybody recommend anything else?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 01:23 PM

heh, i have onw in my 15th anniverisary 77FP
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 05:20 PM

I was thinking of using some wax (buff cars with) to remove the light crack in the clear on my S 7420. Anybody recommend anything else?[/QUOTE]

NO, NO, No wax! - most waxes contain oily, silicony type thingys, and once you get them on, or into a guitar finish, touching up or repairing the finish becomes pretty much impossible. - These are stress fractures, they're only in the finish, and you can't buff 'em out - just consider them your guitar's smile lines as she ages gracefully!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll
These are stress fractures, they're only in the finish, !
Are you sure of this? I have heard Rich (Mr. Ibanez himself) say that they actually ARE in the wood (body) as well. Just look at EVO, lol. But they also dont hurt playability in anyway. Unless they look like EVO's cracks
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 05:52 PM

my opinion....pretty much if you see a crack there in the finish....the wood is most likley cracked too
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 05:59 PM

Ibanez is notorious for the stress cracks on the older heel joint models. I rarely hear that anyone gets them in the newer style AANJ neck joint though - I know I dont have any on any of my axes with the AANJ.

Actually, I dont have any on my older Jems (BFP & FP's) with the heel joint either (just lucky I guess

Tags
aanj neck , aanj neck joint , david mccarroll , neck joint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode