String buzz - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
String buzz

I've been playing for about a year now and am encountering a problem on my Ibanez that I haven't encountered on other guitars I've owned. Seems that when I play, specifically when I picking notes on a specific string, other strings are vibrating as well causing open notes that I am not meaning to play. Mostly this is happening on the low E string. Is this an indication that my action may be too low? I don't feel as though it is. I'm not getting any fret buzz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 06:13 PM

Re: String buzz

Muting other strings while you play is part of your technique which you'll have to develop over time with practice, it's not to do with the guitar. Try using fingers on your fretting hand to mute notes you don't want to ring out, and the picking hand can do a lot as well, particularly for the lower strings.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins345669 View Post
Muting other strings while you play is part of your technique which you'll have to develop over time with practice, it's not to do with the guitar. Try using fingers on your fretting hand to mute notes you don't want to ring out, and the picking hand can do a lot as well, particularly for the lower strings.
As an example, if I cover the 9th fret of the G string and pick it a few times the thick E string starts to vibrate causing noise.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 11:00 PM

Reviews: 18

Do your strings buzz when you pick open notes? If so, you may need to add a shim under the nut to increase open string clearance. Is your action set really low? Can't think of any other reason why your other strings would buzz when they are not being played.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Wish I was at home right now to check. If I remember correctly, it doesn't happen when I play an open note (I could be wrong though). I know that 1/2 way down the fret board is when I notice the problem. The action could be set too low. I felt it was set up pretty good from the factory and haven't changed it. I think I will raise the action on the A and E strings and see if that helps. Adding shims seems pretty strait forward. Is there anything I should be careful of (being a noob) if I need to do that?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 11:03 AM

Reviews: 59

Is the problem that you have string buzz? or that you get a sounding on your low E when you're playing other strings. I've had problems in the past where I'll be playing the intro to Zep's Good Times Bad Times and despite muting the strings I get low E "feedback" or vibration through the amp. Is your problem similar to that?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth55 View Post
Is the problem that you have string buzz? or that you get a sounding on your low E when you're playing other strings. I've had problems in the past where I'll be playing the intro to Zep's Good Times Bad Times and despite muting the strings I get low E "feedback" or vibration through the amp. Is your problem similar to that?
It's not amp feedback. My thick E string just vibrates when I play other strings causing the amp to pick up that vibration.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 11:40 AM

Seriously, don't mess around with the action if you're not getting any buzz, try working on your muting technique.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Definatly no fret buzz.

To answer smooths question, I've never played good times, bad times but for grins and giggles, if I were to play the intro to Bon Jovi - wanted dead or alive, an into that does not utilize the low e string, nor do I feel i should have to mute it, the string will vibrate causing a faint and sustaining open note sound through the into. Like I said, it is faint and really isn't too noticable but it is there.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

I just thought of something! I mostly use the bridge pickup. One of the poles that sits under the thick E string is out more than the others on this pickup. Could this be causing the problem? Maybe it needs to be lowered to the height of the others? It's the only pole that I notice a difference in height out of all three pickups.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 12:35 PM

Okay, feel free to lower the pole, but it's in your best interests to work on your muting technique. It will be a huge help when you start playing at slightly louder volumes, with slightly higher gain or with slightly more articulate pickups, which are probably all things you will start to do as you become a better player (don't go crazy on that gain though, it tends to go down as your playing gets better).
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Skins. I'm playing through a Fender Vibro Champ and I have noticed that even on gain settings, as I've improved I have lowered the gain.

I'll try lowering the pole tonight and see if that helps any.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 12:53 PM

Cool, good luck, let us know!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 02:18 PM

Its not a problem with the guitar, it's technique as already stated.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 02:38 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikron View Post
Its not a problem with the guitar, it's technique as already stated.
The thread is a year old--I'm sure he figured it out long ago...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode