String gauge vs tremolo question - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Smile String gauge vs tremolo question

Hi,
I wonder I would like to try 60-10 for my rg570. Now using 11-50 and need 5 springs there. Using E standard tuning.

One part of my question is about durability of knife edges of my Edge. Should I be worried? Other part is about slipping string from the bridge saddle due big tension. Is here someone who tried that gauge or have recommendation of using or not using such a gauge?

My main goal is to have tight full power chords and thanks to the tension probably very low action. Thanks.

Last edited by Wakizashis; 05-27-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 06:41 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: String gauge vs tremolo question

I don't know that you are going to get any added benefit in terms of tightness going to a 60. It will probably not fit the locking nut very well either.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 07:08 PM

If you want tight sound you should actually focus on brightening the sound not dull it it mud with such thick strings.

try 0.11 stainless steel strings and add bass from an eq, also a compressor might help depending on what you have in mind.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mertay View Post
If you want tight sound you should actually focus on brightening the sound not dull it it mud with such thick strings.

try 0.11 stainless steel strings and add bass from an eq, also a compressor might help depending on what you have in mind.
Hello,

my point was to make it tight - let me explain. When thin string is strummed, it oscillates in wider and not that ordinary waves. Tighter string oscillates in more ordinary waves (shape) and not that furiously. The result is "tighter" sound. At least for me. Another benefit is possible lower string action because that, but even now my action is very low, so it would lower the buzz when strummed hard.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 03:38 AM

Seriously, why do you think going to 60s will give you a better response? I doubt it's going to make that much of a difference at the tension E standard will give you, and it may not fit the locking nut properly anyway.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Seriously, why do you think going to 60s will give you a better response? I doubt it's going to make that much of a difference at the tension E standard will give you, and it may not fit the locking nut properly anyway.
Hi,

as I mentioned above. Though, if it is dangerous either for nut or neck or bridge, I will ignore that... That was what I was asking for...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakizashis View Post
Hello,

my point was to make it tight - let me explain. When thin string is strummed, it oscillates in wider and not that ordinary waves. Tighter string oscillates in more ordinary waves (shape) and not that furiously. The result is "tighter" sound. At least for me. Another benefit is possible lower string action because that, but even now my action is very low, so it would lower the buzz when strummed hard.
I agree with the feeling and non-buzzing but not sure if we can apply this to tone. Rather than string, I'm not 100% sure if the pickup can handle it while maintaining its character as most aren't designed for this (except the 8 maybe 7 string pickups, and these pickups actually has reduced sub frequencys to bring the clarity for thick/lower strings).

While experinemting if possible try to record the sound difference. A very common mistake I notice is people confuse the quality of tone when output is increased while comparing. After recording match the levels when judging and if possible share with us too
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakizashis View Post
Hi,

as I mentioned above. Though, if it is dangerous either for nut or neck or bridge, I will ignore that... That was what I was asking for...
As I mentioned as well, I don't think it's going to make a big difference in tightness, it will be much of a muchness. I seriously doubt you'd be able to hear it in recordings, other than an overbearing low end, and combine that with the locking nut not being able to lock down properly it's just not worth it.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
As I mentioned as well, I don't think it's going to make a big difference in tightness, it will be much of a muchness. I seriously doubt you'd be able to hear it in recordings, other than an overbearing low end, and combine that with the locking nut not being able to lock down properly it's just not worth it.
Ok, I guess, that kind of gauge is idea for normal nut then. I guess I then try 52 max and won't go further. I would be glad if my nut and bridge would last some while. It is disgustingly expensive here, in Europe and eastern European salaries do not help as well. Thanks for help guys. Appreciating your effort.

Tags
10-60 gauge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode