String height way too high - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy String height way too high

Hey guys. I cleaned off my new (used) UV777Bk frets will steel wool, lem-oiled my fretboard, and slapped on some new strings. Now to my horror I have two new issues.

1) With a normal set of 10's the trem floats way to far forward and the claw screws are really in far already. The claw hook is less than a quarter inch from the wood. Thats pretty close, right?

2) bigger issue. The strings are up pretty high off the fretboard. At the 12th fret, the top of the bottom of the low B string is at about 3mm. Thats my measurement with a crappy paper ruler i printed out. Regardless, on my LNG, the low E is 2 mm off the fret at the 12th fret using the same ruler. So the UV is at least a mm higher and feels like even more. Hell, my Jackson's low E sits on the 1mm mark at the 24th fret! The trem "studs" are all the way down, so is this a truss rod adjustment or something worse?

Thank for the help in advance.

Last edited by typedeaf; 01-30-2006 at 09:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 09:07 PM

Re: String height way too high

I've had a similar problem with my action and i want this answered also.

As for the trem floating, try arranging the three springs in an arrow formation rather than parallel:

\ | / rather than | | |

If that doesn't do it, try adding another spring (which you probably shouldn't have to do for 10s)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 09:11 PM

1) Add another spring if you can. This should bring the trem more level and give some adjustment with the screws. ie. the string tension is higher than your spring counterbalancing tension currently.

2) Once you fix 1), then 2) should better. Then you need to re-check your neck bow (truss rod tension). I think you meant 3-4 mm? 4cm is like nearly 2inches? If still no good, you may need to look at the neck alignments starting in the neck pocket.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 09:11 PM

lower it
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTart
I've had a similar problem with my action and i want this answered also.

As for the trem floating, try arranging the three springs in an arrow formation rather than parallel:

\ | / rather than | | |

If that doesn't do it, try adding another spring (which you probably shouldn't have to do for 10s)
Thanks. I will check my LNG or Jackson and see how the springs are. I hate taking screws out because it seems like after so many times, the hole they go in will be stripped. Is this logical? I will let you know if it fixes the problem.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 09:14 PM

I want a LNG, its not fair!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

changed the spring alignment, still cant get to E. I guess I am cutting off my brand new strings and slapping on some 9 guage. Man, what a waste of money. Anything else I should try?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 10:13 PM
Vendor

A $2 spring.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
A $2 spring.
You mean 2 $2 springs, right? Do you think I shold use 9's though and add the springs? Is 10's just to much resistance? I am thinking about just dropping it off to have to set up tomorrow anyway. Its beyond my skill to get this thing setup properly.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by typedeaf
changed the spring alignment, still cant get to E. I guess I am cutting off my brand new strings and slapping on some 9 guage. Man, what a waste of money. Anything else I should try?
since you have seven strings (more tension) on a UV, the spring setting on your LNG is irrelevant - try adding a spring. Check the neck bow - if you are putting thicker strings on the guitar the 'rod may need adjustment (don't touch if you don't understand - seriously!!!!) - you can screw the posts down to lower the whole bridge without loosening the strings (check for locking posts though) - if you took the neck off to clean the frets, are you sure you didn't lose a shim when you put it back on?

Check Ibanezrules tech pages - go through Rich's stuff carefully and methodically, he explains a lot about setting up guitars WITH PICTURES which may point out to you where things may have gone astray, but I'd definitely start with an extra spring and work through from there. If you don't really know what you're doing, get a luthier to do a setup - money very well spent IMHO!!!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 07:37 PM

It probably had 9s on it before. When you put the 10s on it, the tension of the two springs (even with the claw all the way in) isn't enough to balance that out. You need to add an additional spring so you have three. Then string up your 10s to pitch and adjust it until you have the trem sitting level again. At that point, check the action again. You may find the action is fine with the bridge sitting level. If not, you probably need a truss rod adjustment. (You probably need one anyway if you have changed from 9s to 10s.) But there is no reason to cut off the new 10s and switch to 9s. If you want 10s, use the 10s and get it set up right.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 09:45 PM

If there were 9s on there and you switched to 10s, of course you're going to have trem issues.

Sounds like you just need a good setup. You don't need another spring and you don't need to take the 10s off. It's something that can be dealt with by a professional in about 15 minutes.

There are a TON of Jemsiters in Houston who can help you. Look 'em up.

~K

PS: I have used .10s on my UV with 3 springs for the last 5 years or so without one single problem. They're on | | | , but i don't think it makes that much of a difference in this case.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 12:40 AM

Don't cut the strings off your guitar, unwind them. It's bad for the neck to just cut them all quickly.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 07:10 AM

Have you ever thought that your springs might be shot, springs don't have an indefinite life, they could be stretched.

Eddy
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

The guitar is not many years old, but I guess the springs could be shot. Regardless, new discovery: you cant add more than 3 springs. there are only 3 spring holes. doh! guess i am going to just screw the claw in further for now.

Tags
claw screws , neck bow , rod adjustment , steel wool , string tension , truss rod , truss rod adjustment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode