String intonation - weird problem - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5
String intonation - weird problem

Today I started playing my guitar and I noticed the high E string intonation wasn't right. When I press the string on the 12th fret, the note sounds about 1/4 step lower then its correct pitch. The problem: I can't move the high E saddle towards the neck to correct the intonation (it's already all the way forward). What should I do? The bridge is a crappy Lo-TRS II tremolo.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 02:53 AM

damn, you mean that all that forward saddle' placement is not enough!?! this means that the entire trem placement is bad, no matter what trem you get there.
but are you positive that the E-saddle is fastened on the screw' hole nearer the neck? or is it fastened on the backward screw' hole?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno
damn, you mean that all that forward saddle' placement is not enough!?! this means that the entire trem placement is bad, no matter what trem you get there.
but are you positive that the E-saddle is fastened on the screw' hole nearer the neck? or is it fastened on the backward screw' hole?
It's fastened on the screw hole near the neck, I'm sure. One weird thing is that I played the guitar last week and it was all right. Most weird thing: the 24th fret is in tune, while any frets between 11-24 are out of tune.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 02:27 AM

wow!
maybe bad frets placement? or pickups too close to the strings?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 10:54 PM

Sounds like maybe a truss rod issue. What do you think Rich?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 12:12 AM

It was fine a week ago? How often have you played the guitar since then?

Might just be simple string wear, there may be a very small dent, or corrosion on the string causing the intonation to go out.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

nuno: I've checked fret spacing and it's ok. About the pickup height, I think 2.0 mm away from the strings (while pressing them on the 24th fret) is normal, don't you think? I guess it's something else.

Kontalonis: I've made a new truss rod adjustment. It has helped a little, but things aren't that good yet. The problem now is that the neck is almost flat and if I reduce the neck bow even more, the lower frets will start buzzing like bees.

toshiro: I've been playing my custom Strat these days and I haven't touched the 555 for a while. The strings are really worn and I think they might be part of this problem. I'll replace them when I have some time. My final exams at the university will begin next week and I don't have time for my guitars, unfortunately.

Thanks for the help so far guys! I hope I can solve this problem soon... it's a crappy 555, but it's still a guitar I like to play.

I think Mr. Rich could give us a hot advice. Where are you Rich?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 12:17 PM
Vendor

Start with the string change and then report back
Rich is online  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Ok, first thing to do in July then!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2004, 06:01 AM

EDIT - sorry.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
I changed the strings and everything is back to normal. It appears that the high E had a small dent that was causing all the trouble. Thanks for the help guys! You're great!

Tags
neck bow , pickup height , rod adjustment , truss rod , truss rod adjustment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode