String retaining bar - Need some help here - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2001, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

String retaining bar - Need some help here

Okay, got a problem....the tech notes say to lower the string retaining bar until the strings sit in the bottom of the v-groove, but still have enough clearance to clear the truss rod cover....mine seem to be sitting right on the cover....what is wrong here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2001, 11:58 PM

String retaining bar

Your string retaining bar should not have to be that low in order for the strings to sit comfortably in the V's of the nut.

Sounds to me like you have it screwed all the way down to the face of the head stock? Which is way lower than it needs to be........
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2001, 03:19 AM Thread Starter

String retaining bar

It's pretty close, but the strings still don't sit all the way into the groove....does it need a neck shim?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2001, 03:28 AM
Vendor

String retaining bar

The retainer lowers the string on the back side of the nut so that when you tighten the pads the strings don't go sharp because they aren't flush against the full nut. It has no control over the 0 fret side of the nut.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2001, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

String retaining bar

Maybe if I describe....the bar is almost down to the face of the headstock....but the strings, at least the 1-4, are not down in the BOTTOM of the v groove....they are kind of up on the side of it....the B and E string on the UV, 7 and 6 respectively, are pretty much down in the groove though....and Rich, I didn't understand ANY of that...LOL
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2001, 09:55 AM

String retaining bar

The string retainer is used to get the string to set flush on the curved surface of the nut. The strings DO NOT need to sit down in the back "V" of the nut. Here's a trick.

1. Remove the lock down pads and make sure they are installed so that the curve of the pad is the same as the curve on the nut. Do not tighten them down yet.

2. Raise the retainer bar. Note: The retainer bar will be higher on one side than on the other...you guess which side :biggrin:

3. Tighten the low E/A nut pad. Did the strings pull sharp? Loosen the pad and lower that side of the retainer bar only 1/2 turn. Did the strings stay in tune? Loosen the pad and raise that side of the retainer bar only 1/2 turn and repeat. Do this until the you find the sweet spot.

4. Do the same thing for the high E/B side and you're in business.

5. Leave it alone! Don't ever touch it again unless you change your string guage from 9's to 14's......:biggrin:

J>:thumbsup:

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2001, 05:03 PM

String retaining bar

sweet,

thats one part of the guitar I almost never play with,

Ill check it out next time Im restringing

Thanks

Steve
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2001, 09:22 AM

String retaining bar

wahey! one learns something new everyday, I was wondering what it did exactly to help tuning, and now I am a wiser man!

Tags
neck shim , retainer bar , retaining bar , string guage , string retaining bar , truss rod , truss rod cover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode