String sticks to pickup - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

String sticks to pickup

I've recently purchased a pgm300 and have put new strings on and slightly lowered the action to my usual position. However I find when I dive bomb with the tremolo the low E string sticks to the single coil. I've looked about online for advice on this issue the best I could find is lower your pickup. I have fully lowered the single coil as far as it will go and the string still sticks. Is there any other remedies for this problem than raising my action as I'm very happy with the guitar now apart from this issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 10:33 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: String sticks to pickup

Other than using a nylon low-E? Don't dive so deep? It's a steel string sitting on a magnet. It's gonna stick
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear1 View Post
I've recently purchased a pgm300 and have put new strings on and slightly lowered the action to my usual position. However I find when I dive bomb with the tremolo the low E string sticks to the single coil. I've looked about online for advice on this issue the best I could find is lower your pickup. I have fully lowered the single coil as far as it will go and the string still sticks. Is there any other remedies for this problem than raising my action as I'm very happy with the guitar now apart from this issue.
Yeah, that's 100% normal for doing dives with singlecoil pickups (which tend to have a fair amount more magnetic pull than humbuckers).

You can live with it, which is what most people do, or try to find a singlecoil with less magnetic pull - most hum-cancelling singlecoils will fit this description. Lace pickups have very little magnetic pull, and the Golds are pretty "normal" sounding, and the Dimarzio Area series pickups are excellent and tend to pull less than true singlecoils, too.

Personally, I'd just live with it as part of the "sound" and character of a guitar - every time you've heard someone dive to slack with a guitar with singlecoils, you've heard the "click" of the strings starting to stick to the pickups. It's actually kind of cool, once you open yourself to embracing it.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies I have an rg with a hum cancelling pickup in and haven't had the problem. Nor was I expecting it as guitarists like Vai super dive bomb and don't seem to have their string stick. I won't be pulling any pickups out as the pgm in question was once toured and played by Mr Big himself. Rgt when u say nylon strings do you mean like acoustic nylon strings?!
By the looks of it I'll just have not bomb so deep and get used to it. Any other guitar I would deffo pickup swap tho.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 01:13 PM

During installation of new strings, after putting end of string in bridge, bend them slightly upward between bridge humbucker and middle pickup. Bend them slightly. When you tune guitar you would not feel string bend, but when you dive tremolo bend should show up an lift strings away from single coil, if you place it properly.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

What do you use to bend the string between the pickups? Just your hands when your pre stretching your strings?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 02:35 PM

I bend it with fingers, after I put one end of string in bridge , and before I put other one in tuner. You need just minimal force. If you bend it to hard, string will have small curve or belly even in full tension. You do not want that. You just want string to "remember '' shape when you slack it and move away from single coil. I originally start to do that to force string to move in such shape to track bridge humbucker to maintain deep sound on deep dives.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Its a great idea that I'll try next i restring my guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode