String tension and how to convert stringsize? question - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

String tension and how to convert stringsize? question

I have my JEM7VL-WH neck set up by RICH for tuning in D (DGCFAD) with D'addariostrings EXL 110 (010-046).
I will be doing a couple of concerts where the guitars will be tuned in standard E and I wonder if it's possible to use other size of strings that gives the neck about the same tension as I have when the guitar is tuned to D while using D'Addario EXL 110s?
The reason for NOT wanting to adjust the neckrelief as Rich has set the neck up just fantastic and I dont want to loose that amazing setup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 07:02 PM

Re: String tension and how to convert stringsize? question

there is some info out there on string tension. I think d'addario has lists info and i know for a fact it has been posted here on the jemsite forums. so do a search

as far as messing up your guitar(neck and relief go) i wouldn't worry too much about the neck, your trem wont be set up right and neither will your intonation. The guitar itself wont be messed up though.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 07:03 PM

Change to 009-042. in E to keep the same tuning.
Your intonation might be slightly off,but tension will be the same so no tremspring or strussrod asjusment needed.
(in both tunings the stringtension will be about 60 kilograms)
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 07:06 PM

edit: change to 009-042.in E to keep the same tension
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 08:40 PM
Vendor

Truss rod is not a permanent adjustment and needs to be checked and adjusted anytime the environment changes. Just make note of where you like the relief, and you can always return it to that spot.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 09:45 PM

Reviews: 37
Smile Re: String tension and how to convert stringsize? question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Truss rod is not a permanent adjustment and needs to be checked and adjusted anytime the environment changes. Just make note of where you like the relief, and you can always return it to that spot.
yeah man work those trussrods dont be scared.
funny that people do so much to avoid so little.

there is 5,000,000,000,000 tutorials on trussrod adj.
i use my trussrod like a tuner.

Tags
d'addario , jem 7v neck , relief , string tension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode